Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: please convince me to quit poker forever or something

[x] op is a solid player w/ a strong fundamental understandin of teh pokahs.
[x] 50NL is way easier than 10NL... also 1kNL is easier than 100NL
[ ] pot odds r essential to poker
Old 09-04-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where this turned into an "I am so pathetic that I can't beat nl10" thread, but uh, I beat higher stakes at a better clip than I beat nl10. I probably struggle with nl10 because I play aggressively, and all the advice about nl10 thus far is "sit around and set mine and play abc," and I prefer to play HU or 6max, play position, mix up my play and generally do pretty much exactly the opposite of the "life nit" classification I gave myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you're in denial

if you beat higher stakes, then play higher stakes

but i seriously doubt you can beat higher stakes but not 10nl

it's the typical "omg if i could just move up to where they respected my raises" excuse that makes no sense

[/ QUOTE ]

Keikiwai

PLease explain how you can be advising this poor fellow, when your actions today cost me a kings ransom by finishing second to CHUMP. Also, HH please. May not respond immediately as Mrs Kiwi away, and I just noticed Janis N's Avatar

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 AM

Keep the pressure on those callmuppets. Back when I played those micro/low limits my stats were 50/30 and I would pot just about every flop and if the turn improved my hand at all (or at least didn't make it worse) I would pot it again. This was a couple years ago.. not sure if it's still a good approach now.. but I ran over 10bb/100 over span of about 50k hands doing much what I stated above.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep the pressure on those callmuppets. Back when I played those micro/low limits my stats were 50/30 and I would pot just about every flop and if the turn improved my hand at all (or at least didn't make it worse) I would pot it again. This was a couple years ago.. not sure if it's still a good approach now.. but I ran over 10bb/100 over span of about 50k hands doing much what I stated above.

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like standard HAG strategy, what's so novel about it?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where this turned into an "I am so pathetic that I can't beat nl10" thread, but uh, I beat higher stakes at a better clip than I beat nl10. I probably struggle with nl10 because I play aggressively, and all the advice about nl10 thus far is "sit around and set mine and play abc," and I prefer to play HU or 6max, play position, mix up my play and generally do pretty much exactly the opposite of the "life nit" classification I gave myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you're in denial

if you beat higher stakes, then play higher stakes

but i seriously doubt you can beat higher stakes but not 10nl

it's the typical "omg if i could just move up to where they respected my raises" excuse that makes no sense

[/ QUOTE ]

Keikiwai

PLease explain how you can be advising this poor fellow, when your actions today cost me a kings ransom by finishing second to CHUMP. Also, HH please. May not respond immediately as Mrs Kiwi away, and I just noticed Janis N's Avatar

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

&lt;3
Old 09-04-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Sounds like standard HAG strategy, what's so novel about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about a book?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:01 AM

Dude, I _destroy_ 10 NL. You should be glad to play with the fish - as long as they stay at the table, it's all money in your pocket. It's not as hard as you make it out to be. Keep making the right plays (if you've looked at the uNL section of this board, you know what those are - abuse position, use your cbets, 3-bet light against the right opponents, etc.) and have a bankroll that can handle variance (20 buy-ins) and you will be fine. Stop being a nit and spring for PokerTracker if you want to do better on one of the major sites, or move to one of the smaller ones (Absolute is a good option, and I'm a personal fan of the 75% rakeback on WPX - speaking of that, find a site with a rakeback deal to get you through the tough times).

I found myself in the same situation as you less than a year ago. This is exactly what I wrote in the spreadsheet I use to keep track of wins and losses (oh yeah, you should have one of those as well) as I deposited $200 - no small amount to me:
"Okay, this is it - the real deal. If I fail with this real bankroll that can handle variance, it's game over. I mean it this time. Self-control."
It's not pretty, I know. But you know what? I haven't deposited since then. I've withdrawn well over $2k, and never played over 50 NL. There have certainly been some tough times - gone for over a week without a winning day on occasion, lost ridiculous amounts at a time - that made me ask the same questions you've been asking. This summer has been particularly brutal, to the point where I thought I would be busto. I usually comforted myself by taking a break, making a withdrawal (so I'd have some real money to show for it), and starting over at the lower level with 20 buy-ins. Do not play under-rolled. The idea is that luck doesn't exist in the long-run, but it can wipe you out if your roll can't handle it.

Anyway, my advice to you is to try this once. Make one last deposit, the right size this time. Track your play. If you can lose a 20 buy-in bankroll, then you are probably just not a winning player and you should quit. Otherwise, exercise proper bankroll management and keep playing your game (get used to taking bad beats, but don't alter your play if it's the right one) and I expect you'll be singing a different tune within a year.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I _destroy_ 10 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol sorry but this is funny.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM

well, it sounds like poker equates to any other hobby for you considering you're pretty much break even.

given that, if you're having fun, keep playing. if playing alters your mood--makes you annoyed n such more often than it offers you enjoyment, then quit.

contrary to what you think, you're not a good player. but, if you're having fun, then who cares.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I _destroy_ 10 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol sorry but this is funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with being a micro baller... we all have to start somewhere.