Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Best US President

[ QUOTE ]
I donīt mind, but do you think Jefferson Davis would like being called President of the US as he activly tried to distance himself and his states from the US, and was at war with them? Im just standing up for the guy, nothing else. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Jefferson Davis was a cabinet member under President Pierce, so I would assume he probably would've liked to have of been President someday, until his homeland was invaded.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 AM

Yeah, but the territory he actually was president of tried to distance themselves from the US. You didīnt call him the best "US president hopeful" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think Ive said my last words on this subject now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but the territory he actually was president of tried to distance themselves from the US. You didīnt call him the best "US president hopeful" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think Ive said my last words on this subject now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, he's the best candidate who never won president. However, he could've possibly been president, except for the fact that the US invaders stripped his right to hold public office after the terrorism stopped.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What should he and Churchill have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going to comment on Churchill, but FDR should have stayed out of the war in the first place.

And Woodrow Wilson before him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the use of concentration camps and Jewish extermination was known do you still believe this?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What should he and Churchill have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going to comment on Churchill, but FDR should have stayed out of the war in the first place.

And Woodrow Wilson before him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree on Wilson. 20/20 hindsight, yes, but if we had not intervened in 1917 and tipped the scales, WWI would've ended much differently. No Draconian Treaty of Versailles might well have meant no Nazi ascendency in Germany and maybe no major war in Europe.

Once Hitler was there and the die was cast I don't think non-intervention was in the cards, but I always part ways with my libertarian/AC brethren on geopolitics.

I still see the snd result of isolationism as a complete loss of freedom.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 AM

I'm going to challenge you here, Andy.

But I knew Johnson as a disaster while he was president, and I knew Nixon was a crook and a pathological liar while he was president, and I knew Carter was a disaster while he was president. And I know the current Bush is a disaster.

And yet, you're still not a libertarian? You still seek a solution from the current 2 parties?

You know, they say one definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different result. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to challenge you here, Andy.

But I knew Johnson as a disaster while he was president, and I knew Nixon was a crook and a pathological liar while he was president, and I knew Carter was a disaster while he was president. And I know the current Bush is a disaster.

And yet, you're still not a libertarian? You still seek a solution from the current 2 parties?

[/ QUOTE ]
Trying to define libertarian as anybody disgusted with politicians or sick of the 2 party system? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]

You know, they say one definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different result. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM

I don't seek a solution. That said, I often vote for a candidate from a party other than the "current 2 parties." And, that said, there is often a very big difference between how the Democratic candidate and the Republican candidate would have governed. Johnson and Goldwater, Nixon and Humphrey, Nixon and McGovern, Bush and Gore, Bush and Kerry--very different political viewpoints.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM

Johnson and Goldwater

The only one of the bunch that was not a Hobson's Choice. Goldwater would've been Reagan without the Bible-Thumpers.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:15 PM

Well, that's your opinion. Hubert Humphrey and George McGovern were fine human beings who would have made much better presidents than did Richard Nixon.