Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Question about my play with QQ

This is my first post, and I forgot to send the hand to myself, and I don't know all the terminology, but I'll try my best and keep in mind getting it right for future posts.

I was playing an Interpoker $2 $.25 NL holdem multi table tournament. This was maybe the 4th or 5th hand of the tourney, so it was too early to tell how everyone was playing.

Blinds were 10 25, everyone roughly had 1500 chips each.

I'm dealt QQ
Everyone calls and I am UTG+3, I bet out 250 chips
Button calls, UTG+1 calls, and everyone else folds.

Flop comes 6h, 9d, As

UTG+1 bets 400 chips.

What do I do?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Question about my play with QQ

Hi,

read the FAQ on how hands should be posted. Try not to reveal the results next time.

Your play seems fine to me, the double limpers usually means a pretty big raise is ok early, although I probably would have made it 200. I generally wouldn't bother to call on the flop here, especially since the button is still to act. You see a lot of limping/calling with Ax in these tourneys..
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM

At a very low buy in event in the beginning, I probably limp with QQ here. If the flop comes with a Q or undercards, I likely go all in.

You'd be surprised how many idiots will call with AK-high, all kind of mid-pocket pairs, and TPWK (stuff like T6o on a T-high board). Every now and again you'll get stacked by 2 pair or a set, but most times you'll end up wiping out 2-3 players in one fell swoop.

NOTE: I do not advise this play in higher buy ins, only at buy ins with terrible players . . . At higher buy ins, raising your QQ is the correct (IMO) play.

BTW - as played, easy fold on the flop . . . people call any raise with Ax at these blinds and buy ins. . .
Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 PM

Dont limp w/QQ here. You pretty much never want to limp high pocket pairs. As far as junk calling you, thats all the better since you are a huge favorite over everything except AA, KK, AK. You dont want to give the limpers a free shot at beating you so the raise is standard.

As for the flop, Ax is a big part of a limper's range. Also given that button is still to act and coldcalled your raise preflop, he might likely have a something like AQ+. Easy fold on this flop.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:07 PM

fold?...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 AM

why would you limp with QQ? If anyone hits top pair jack then you will be getting all of their chips, fold to the ace on board though
Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 AM

Because you can raise and some idiot will call with J7s or whatever hit a pair and go broke.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:42 AM

I think your raise preflop is too large. You should have raised to 100, or maybe 150 max.

without any reads I fold this. It is very likely that UTG+1 could have an ace. He could be on a complete bluff or even have 78, but you are gonna have to probably risk your whole stack to find out.