Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Does the thought of Hell ever scare an atheist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you interpret this literally?

[/ QUOTE ]

I interpret it as fiction. But many Christians interpret it literally. And many Christians are gleeful at the notion of people being tortured forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of Christians truly believe in Hell and hate the thought of it...which is why there's some Christians who spend their lives trying to "save" others, because they are sickened by the punishment, but believe it to be true.

I hope Hell doesn't exist. I hope we are supposed to read the parts in the Bible describing Hell allegorically and not literally. And that there will be no literal place of eternal torment. I can't even fathom how Heaven would be so perfect if one had the knowledge of others suffering in Hell.

But again...God makes the rules. If God exists and is in control, than all we can do is pray for His mercy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell is NOT a real place & you need to accept the fact that there will NOT be people spending eternity there.

Christians are not 'gleeful' about being the only ones to believe such nonsense ...why do you think we go through the effort of trying convert the rest of the world??

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

And it is also cool to know that Brad forget to mention there are versions of Christianity that don't accept the existence of hell (as in the eternal torment thing at least).

[/ QUOTE ]

They're in for a surprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that it is necessary for a devout Christian to believe in hell in order to not go to hell?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matthew 7:13-15

13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that God created a race where he knew the majority of them wouldn't follow his directions and they would be burned in eternal fire?

How is this a loving God? He sounds absolutely psychotic.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because your little religious sect is right, and the billions of humans that don't believe what you do are wrong. Sounds reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how can you be so sure that your sect has "found it"? You suffer from the same arrogance that most of the theists on this board suffer from -- you think that you are capable of deciphering what is required to curry favour with god -- and that billions of other humans on this planet are less capable than you are in this endeavour.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Not even for a 1/google of a second.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because your little religious sect is right, and the billions of humans that don't believe what you do are wrong. Sounds reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But how can you be so sure that your sect has "found it"? You suffer from the same arrogance that most of the theists on this board suffer from -- you think that you are capable of deciphering what is required to curry favour with god -- and that billions of other humans on this planet are less capable than you are in this endeavour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess we're in agreement then, huh?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably impossible to think about *anything* for that small a time period, considering that it's much less than one planck time.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably impossible to think about *anything* for that small a time period, considering that it's much less than one planck time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My way of saying I have never thought about it at all.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:32 PM

It doesn't worry me. I will be greatly surprised if there is any sort of afterlife. Besides, none of the descriptions of the Christian heaven I've read really sounds like a place where I'd want to spend eternity. The traditional Christian view of the afterlife strikes me as a choice between eternal torture and eternal boredom, so, If the Christians are right, I'm pretty much screwed either way.

Now, the Muslim heaven, with lots of virgins to deflower, sounds a little more interesting, but not if I have to fly a plane into a building to get there.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am confused about this hell. I have a bible with me, direct me to the passage that describes hell. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any help here? You all seem to have intimate knowledge of this hell place. There must be some interesting passages in the bible that go into depth about this place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing in-depth. Just eternal fire.

Mark 9:43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire,

9:44 where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.

Matthew 25:41 Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;'

Revelation 20:14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire This is the second death, the lake of fire.

20:15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, all we know about hell is that there are worms and people who have joined satan and a lake of fire. That's not really that bad IMO. I never saw satan sacrifice his own child for a mistake he made. I am more afraid of going to heaven and hanging out with this God character.

Although I am more of an atheist. While these myths are good fun I don't think I am going to die and go to a lake of fire or a place of clouds. For that matter when I die I know I have no shot at coming back as Case Closed the White. I don't worry about stories.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 PM

I just made myself LOL.

I had a vision of most of us posters in the firey pit of hell, being a'turtured and a-chastised like after class detention, and discussing with each other -

"I can't believe it."
"I know, me too."
"What was he thinking?"
"Guess we'll never know."
"I mean serioulsy, Brad and Splendour were right all along. Who'd have thought it?"
"At least he seperated them out, I mean, Imagine if they were here too, now THEN this place would really start earning it's name...."