Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Folding AKo Preflop

How many places pay?

Meh. Looks like a call to me, you're not a 2:1 dog vs both their ranges.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds were moving to 400-800 then 500-1000 at 20 minute levles, so they are going up very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, 20 min levels LIVE? You HAVE to call now. It's not even remotely close.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM

I'm undecided as to whether calling is the correct play here. If you fold you still have 6800 which is still sitting around 10 big blinds once they do go up - You're going to need to make a move quite soon but AKo is not the time to do it when you put the villian on a pocket pair. Do you feel that the villian could have KK or AA (if so this is an autofold)?

At best you're holding the best overcards although it is much more likely that you're no better then a 45% equity favorite to win this hand given that you think the villian could be holding a good pocket pair.

Remember that you're also been raised all-in when you have a tight image for an amount that can be quite easily called in many situations - If you think that your opponent is aware of this then it is most definitely a fold!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At best you're holding the best overcards although it is much more likely that you're no better then a 45% equity favorite to win this hand given that you think the villian could be holding a good pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]That's why you call. With 20 min levels and prob ~8-12 hands per level you cannot ever fold AK in this spot. You can't really 'outplay' opponents or 'find a better spot' when the blinds reach critical mass. CO is shoving 22+, two broadway, any Ace. With his t2100 in the pot this is a snapcall. Winning this pot puts you in position to coast to final table. Losing it is no big deal, you made the right play.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Villian 3bet AI PF against me while ago with AA and showed, so KK or AA could be a possible.

Even with a more normal blind structure, I was thinking it was a bad - marginal play, folding AK PF vs a shortstacked table when getting 2:1.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That's why you call. With 20 min levels and prob ~8-12 hands per level you cannot ever fold AK in this spot. You can't really 'outplay' opponents or 'find a better spot' when the blinds reach critical mass. CO is shoving 22+, two broadway, any Ace. With his t2100 in the pot this is a snapcall. Winning this pot puts you in position to coast to final table. Losing it is no big deal, you made the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting perspective, out of curiosity how do you think it would apply in a ring table scenario? Personally I would make the laydown should the same situation arise outside of a tournament but I'm also very interested in what others think about this.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting perspective, out of curiosity how do you think it would apply in a ring table scenario?

[/ QUOTE ]If I were playing 200-400NL with only $8000 (lol), and for some strange reason a person was playing with 5bb's... instacall. You'd have to change the structure for this to be a fold. Or we need to know 100% that button is only pushing with AA and KK.

OP- How did rest of tournament go after fold, did you make it much further?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB goes all in and has me covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you still have enough chips to let BB go heads up with the short stack. He probably has a pocket pair, or AT-AK. I would want to fold and wait a little longer.

If I had less chips, like 3-9 times the big blind, I'd insta call. But here, I think you can fold.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BB goes all in and has me covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you still have enough chips to let BB go heads up with the short stack. He probably has a pocket pair, or AT-AK. I would want to fold and wait a little longer.

If I had less chips, like 3-9 times the big blind, I'd insta call. But here, I think you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way too consevative for a fast live tournament (maybe 8-10 hands per blind level). In 15-20 hands he's going to be so low on chips as to have nearly zero fold equity on any push. There absolutely no logic behind folding here. In this fast a tournament, you have to go hyper-aggro at 20-25 big blinds. Waiting for big hands until you have 10 BB or less is suicide.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:31 PM

Had you made this sort of raise and folded to this amount of action previously?
What was your perception of the BB?

If hes your regular player i could fold this.
If hes one of the better players i would have to consider that he might be using your tight image together with the fact that he recently did this to you with AA and figure he could well be isolating lite here.

before i talked myself into the above and put it in i would be considering the rest of the tables stacks and whether there were opportunities (weak players) i felt confident i could still exploit if i folded this.