Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM

Default EDF book review, recommendations, etc - the mbillie edition

As some of you may know, at my current job I have a lot of free time. For the last fifteen work days, I've read a different book each day (or averaged a book a day) and have read 15 books, all of which I was surprisingly pleased with. Here are the reviews and recommendations. I'm going to group these by author where appropriate, it just seems like it makes more sense.

Haruki Murakami
books read: <u>The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle</u>, <u>Kafka on the Shore</u>, <u>Dance Dance Dance</u>, <u>South of the Border, West of the Sun</u>

Murakami is a strange writer. He provides a mixture of pop-culture with dark, almost mystical (and occasionally erotic) storylines. Things happen that couldn't happen in real life, and then other things happen that wouldn't happen in real life. He's very readable despite the length of some of his books. I've come to like his writing very much. Briefly, the four of his books I read.

<u>The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle</u>: this is the easiest of his books to get into, in my opinion. It has a very engaging plot right from the first few chapters. A nice litmus test to see if you might like his writing is to read the first fifty or sixty pages of this book. If you're interested, you'll probably like at least the four books I listed above. The story is complex but flows fairly easily. Not everything is resolved nicely and neatly, which sort of bugged me, but still a worthwhile book. It's a bit on the long side, the longest of the four I'm recommending, but it's the one I read first and it really got me into him.

<u>Kafka on the Shore</u>: this is in my opinion probably the "best" of the four books. The story is very smooth, powerful and the fantastic/dreamlike/unreal elements flow together with the rest of the plot. A little more on the serene side, although not without its erotic/gorey bits. When I re-read these at some point, this will be the one I start with. An excellent book.

<u>Dance Dance Dance</u>: probably the least interesting of the four, but still rather interesting. A hotel, sometimes the elevator takes you to another world with a sheepman (sounds corny but actually works very well), a bit more conspiracy-ish (although there's no tacit conspiracy) and a little darker than the other books. Still thoroughly enjoyed it.

<u>South of the Border, West of the Sun</u>: my personal favorite of the four, also the shortest for those of you who don't want to jump into a very long book right away. It has little or none of the mysticism/dreamlike stuff that is sort of characteristic of Murakami and for that reason may not be a terrific introduction to his writing, but I think it's very personal (or at any rate I found that I could relate to it myself personally at least) and the most beautifully written of the four. More directly about a girl (three women actually) than the others, not a love story though. If you have read and enjoyed anything else of his, this one is a must-read. Hard to compare him to other writers, at least that I've read, because he's very different from the usual stuff I read, but I have really come to like his writing. I'll be getting some more of his books shortly.

Jose Saramago
books read: <u>Blindness</u>, <u>Seeing</u>

Saramago is a Pulitzer prize winner. Again a different sort of writer. The most noticeable thing is that he doesn't use quotation marks at all. All of the conversations/dialog in his books is like just inserted into the sentences. You can tell when a different character is speaking because he will capitalize the first letter of the first word of that character's sentence. It's confusing at first, until you realize what's going on. However he is a spectacular writer. I'm going to the bookstore tonight to grab some more of his books actually. He is sometimes credited with being the greatest living fiction writer today, and I would not dispute that. These are really excellent, profound and moving works.

<u>Blindness</u>: one by one, the residents of a city go blind, "white blindness" it's called, where you only see a shade of milky white (instead of the darkness associated with normal blindness). Society descends into chaos and disarray. One woman keeps her sight, the wife of the optometrist who treated the first man to have come down with the blindness. This is both a very dark and brutally cynical book and a sort of uplifting and human story. I'd compare this with Kafka's "The Trial" in mood at times, although the writing is not really anything like Kafka's. It's terrific.

<u>Seeing</u>: not exactly a sequel, but it does refer to some of what happens in <u>Blindness</u>, so I'd recommend reading them in order. A critique of the failings of democracy, sort of, a bit of a modern <u>1984</u> feel at times. Not as good as <u>Blindness</u>, but still terrific. Saramago is brilliant, I can't wait to read more of his work.

Gino Segre
book read: <u>Faust in Copenhagen: A Struggle for the Soul of Physics</u>

<u>Faust in Copenhagen</u>: the only book of Segre's that I've read. A nonfiction account of the meetings of physicists that ultimately developed Quantum Mechanics as we know it. It gets into both the scientific and personal human sides of their lives. I'm not elaborating much on it but it's really an excellent read, especially if you're like me in that you're interested in advanced physics but are not a theoretical physicist [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This makes great down-time reading as it's fairly light and very easy to follow.

OK I know I said 15 books but I just remembered I have to meet my father for dinner in about twenty minutes, so I'll come do the other 7 books when I get back later on tonight.

Also, to whoever recommended <u>Special Topics in Calamity Physics</u> in the other thread, I was actually looking at that the other day in the book store and almost bought it, now I will definitely pick it up, thanks for the rec!

mark
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: EDF book review, recommendations, etc - the mbillie edition

[ QUOTE ]

Also, to whoever recommended Special Topics in Calamity Physics in the other thread, I was actually looking at that the other day in the book store and almost bought it, now I will definitely pick it up, thanks for the rec!

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome! hope you like it. Guess I'll write a bit of a review here for teh others

<u>Special Topics in Calamity Physics</u>: Marisha Pessl's first novel, released last year, commonly described as a Nabokovian high school murder mystery. A hyper-literate girl and her father come to a new town for her senior year of HS, she falls in with an eclectic, exclusive group of kids that constantly hang out with one of the teachers. This teacher is funny, mysterious, and awesome; soon she turns up dead and the crazy [censored] starts. The story is actually quite simple, but it's stretched out to 500 pages of elaborate similes, cute illustrations, academic references both real and fake (but always hilarious), and some of my favorite first-person narration I've ever read. I understand that some will find it pretentious or off-putting, but I didn't at all. At any rate, I recommend it highly.

Also, funnily enough, I noticed a couple errors and typos in the book (not a lot but more than one would expect), and I don't think it was the author intentionally trying to level us. Hopefully this'll be fixed in future printings.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:19 AM

Thanks for writing these up mbillie. Unfortunately at the moment I am 200 pages into Sein und Zeit (Macquarrie &amp; Robinson translation), so it will be a few days before I can indulge in one of your recommendations. Heidegger apparently didn't approve of, say, READABLE writing. Here's a sample:

"The character of understanding as projection is constitutive for Being-in-the-world with regard to the disclosedness of its existentially constitutive state-of-Being by which the factical potentiality-for-Being gets its leeway."
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 AM

Ok, after much delay, here are the rest.

Ernest Hemingway
books read: <u>For Whom the Bell Tolls</u>, <u>In Our Time</u>
Hemingway is sort of a fashionable writer to dislike lately, which I think is ridiculous. Easily one of the best American writers of the 20th century (if not the best), helped develop an entire new feel and style of writing.

<u>For Whom the Bell Tolls</u>: If you haven't read this, you should seriously consider it. This is one of my top 5 all time favorite books. A fantastic story, gritty and tough but idealistic and human all at once. Robert Jordan, in Spain during the Spanish civil war, is fighting against the fascists. He's there to blow up a bridge, and the book centers around this storyline. This is easily one of the iconic American novels of all time. Read it.

<u>In Our Time</u>: this put Hemingway on the map. It's a collection of related short stories, sort of like Bradbury's <u>The Martian Chronicles</u> in that some of the characters are the same, some different, they're thematically related, etc. It's short and easy to get through. Not his best work in my opinion, but still worth reading.

Sylvia Plath
book read: <u>The Bell Jar</u>

<u>The Bell Jar</u>: wow. This was stunning, an instant favorite. This is the very thinly veiled autobiographical story of the life of Sylvia Plath, complete with attempted suicides, her internship at a magazine in NYC, etc. This is one of the finest written novels I've ever read. It's beautiful, sad, cold, almost like Kafka and Camus, but more readable. I love Plath's poetry, so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a novel she had written, but this is utterly fantastic. It chronicles the breakdown of Esther Greenwood, how she eventually feels like her life is covered by a bell jar that's between the rest of the world and herself. Almost every edition of <u>The Bell Jar</u> also includes the otherwise unpublished poem "Mad Girl's Love Song," which is also excellent. This is a must-read.

J.D. Salinger
book read: <u>The Catcher in the Rye</u>

<u>The Catcher in the Rye</u>: somehow my highschool managed to let me graduate without having read this. I'll assume most of you have read this, but briefly for those that haven't: a classic sort of coming-of-age story about a kid who spends a runaway weekend in New York City. Also a beautiful and touching sort of sibling story, his little sister is one of the most adorable characters I can remember. I loved it.

Tim Weiner
book read: <u>Legacy of Ashes</u> (history of the CIA)

<u>Legacy of Ashes</u>: one of the only 2 non-fiction books in here. This was stunning to read. Based entirely on recently declassified CIA documents and personal interviews the author conducted with CIA directors and other personel, this is just a chilling look at what really happens in the world. Secret prisons in the 50s and 60s, LSD and mind control tested on detainees, RFK ordering the CIA to use the mob to assassinate Castro, botched operations in countless wars/conflicts since the inception of the agency... when you finish reading this you're torn between wanting to do everything you can to ensure that the CIA is permanently disbanded, and wanting to go and join the CIA so there will be one more halfway intelligent person working there. Chilling, and probably a must-read for anyone who wants to know what's going on in the world. Terrifying and eye-opening.

Goethe
book read: <u>Faust</u>

<u>Faust</u>: well... everyone's read <u>Faust</u>, right?? This is an excellent play, a bit hard to read but wonderful. Not an enormous amount to say about it I guess, other than it's a classic and massively influential on European writing even today.

Marisha Pessl
book read: <u>Special Topics in Calamity Physics</u>

<u>Special Topics in Calamity Physics</u>: I read this yesterday and loved it, couldn't put it down all day. Aside from being apparently quite beautiful, Pessl has a quirky and fun style that plays with references to older works, a keen awareness of the personalities of intellectuals and pretentious windbags (like me ldo) and an ability to weave a very complicated storyline together seamlessly. One of the New York Times' "10 Best Books of the Year," and I'd agree. Thanks to Kimbell for the recommendation! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very funny, captivating, moving and surprisingly a page-turner, despite being relatively dense and not written for the "Da Vinci Code" crowd at all. An intelligent book that appeals on a number of levels and still provides a thrilling read. Spectacular.

David Sedaris
book read: <u>Me Talk Pretty One Day</u>

<u>Me Talk Pretty One Day</u>: ok, I've heard people call books funny before. Even "laugh out loud" funny. And usually that doesn't mean anything, so when my girlfriend and her family told me that this book was hilarious, I was naturally quite skeptical. When the reviews said it was gut-busting, side-splittingly funny, I remained dubious. Let me tell you, this is the [censored] funniest book I have ever read. It seriously had me bursting out laughing at work, at home, wherever I was reading it. A sort of strange pseudo-memoirs almost from the sibling of Amy Sedaris (she did "Strangers With Candy" and some other stuff), hilariously written... just a thoroughly pleasurable read. Don't sneak it into Church or anything though... people will know you're doing something funny, because you will seriously burst out laughing at least a few times when reading this. Definitely recommended across the board, regardless of your taste in literature. Puts a giant smile on your face.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:35 PM

Nice reviews, Mr. Billie. A couple of these are books that I've been meaning to get around to for a while; I think I'll pick up <u>The Bell Jar</u> tonight and see what happens. Hope this thread keeps going and gets some more contributors (not that you don't read enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

and yeah, Pessl is totally hawt, imo
Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Blindness:

[ QUOTE ]
This is both a very dark and brutally cynical book and a sort of uplifting and human story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would second this recommendation. This is an absolutely beautiful book, with solid message about how we treat our fellow humans. Saramago is a genius. This book mixes the darkest and most grim visualizations with uplifting and beautiful imagery as well.

Basically, this story goes to hell and back. It's amazing.

I also read The Double, which was also very good, a story about identity and what makes us who we are. Not quite as powerful, but maybe more relevant on a day-to-day basis.

Saramago is a fascinating writer because he really has something to say, and it comes out through these beautiful, fascinating and horiffic stories.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM

wow i'd give anything to be getting through a book a day!
nice work,keep up the recommendations.

i have blindness in the pile of books i have waiting to be read,looking forward to it.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 PM

I've been trying to read a little more recently.

I've read a lot of Gene Wolfe in the past five weeks or so; the Book of the Short Sun and Latro in the Mist. That's actually five books. Short Sun is enjoyable, and is sort of the last series in the world started by New Sun and Long Sun. Short Sun feels to me like the weakest of those three. Long Sun manages to approach total science fiction without spiritual deus ex machina, but Short Sun doesn't really try to do that at all, which is a bit disappointing. New Sun didn't either, of course, but a) it wasn't trying to follow something else that had already set a tone of science, and b) the philosophical musings that make up so much of that book add a lot.

Latro in the Mist was kind of interesting, but is my least favorite series by Wolfe so far. It's a very serviceable read, but I think it's probably more fun if you have a very solid grounding in Greek mythology (and probably Greek language.) There's a lot I recognized, but I definitely managed to get confused sometimes, and I think the way everything wraps up, I feel like I'm missing some kind of allusion to mythic structure that would explain why it goes as it does.

Saturday by Ian McEwan. I liked this. It's nothing profound, but it does a surprisingly good job of capturing one unusually (but for the most part not implausibly) stressful day. Henry Perowne feels like a good man. When I heard about this book a while ago, it seemed like a lot of the reviews focused on Iraq and 9/11. There are certainly aspects of the book that are informed by these things but they don't really seem central at all.

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I've enjoyed what Irving I've read (this, The Cider House Rules, The Water Method Man). He really does a good job of setting a humorous, emotional tone without making you feel overly cheesy about it. He's also quite good, in my opinion, at making characters who are good without being saintly, which is always nice.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. This was okay. Strangely, I think the problem is that he does too good a job creating an atmosphere of utter futility, because about 80 pages in I started thinking "So these guys are well and throughly [censored]. That's too bad." This feeling was strong enough that it lead to a sort of emotional flatness while reading most of the book. Still, despite that, the ending really got to me.

I have a bunch of things that I've started reading but haven't fallen in love with enough yet to actually pound through:

Moral Minds by Marc Hauser. This is what I'm working on at the moment. Only 50 pages in, but from the first chapter, it appears the thrust of the book will be that humans possess a moral faculty that has properties similar to Chomsky's universal grammar, and that this is the basis of our moral judgments. Arguments and consequences to follow, I'm sure. I'm very intrigued by this premise, but this is my second attempt to get into this book and I still feel like Hauser's prose is bogging me down somehow, though I haven't put my finger on it yet.

The Sorrows of Empire by Chalmers Johnson. Wherein the author argues that the expansion of the military-industrial complex is bad, un-American, and will lead to a Roman Empire style decline for the U.S.

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. I've heard great things about this book, and I've read about the first 100 pages or so and it's quite good. It develops the history of the understanding of atoms/nuclei from the start of the 20th century on, examining a lot of the key players along the way, and then presumably gets into the bomb stuff.

EDIT: Also, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. From what I know of his argument (and having read about half of this), I think I agree with what he's trying to say, and I feel like I should read this book as part of my education. I find him stylistically dense and tough to slog through, though.

And I've thought about picking up Special Topics in Calamity Physics because, yes, Marisha Pessl appears to be smoking.

EDIT 2: Googling about, the glamour shot is definitely giving her a fair bit of help. But I bet she's still hotter than Gene Wolfe or Thomas Kuhn.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM

The Blind Side - Michael Lewis's book. I loved it. Any sports fan will probably enjoy it, especially the hardcore football fans. After this book, I officially became a Michael Lewis fan.

The Warren Buffett CEO - Rob Miles. It's not really a book; it's more like a collection of interviews from managers who work for Warren Buffett. We learn how Buffett manages people and why everyone loves working for the old man in Omaha. It is amazing how much respect Buffett's managers have for him and as a result, they want to do their best to make him proud. The interesting question for all the managers was "how will the internet change your business?" and you get to see if Buffett's managers know they're talking about. I highly recommend it for entrepreneurs wannabe and obviously, WEB fans.

Sam Walton: Made in America - Sam Walton. I am currently reading it right now and really enjoy it. It's a fun read and Sam Walton comes across as a genuine hardworking good guy. I said this because before reading this book, the media has painted an image of Wal-Mart being an evil empire in my mind. Now that doesn't mean Wal-Mart isn't an evil empire - I don't know and I don't care. I just want to appreciate Wal-Mart for being a great business and how it became a powerful discount retailer because its founder was fearless and he understood that you need to take care of your workers before you take care of your customers. I highly recommend it to people who want to start a business. It shows you how much time and effort you put into something that you want to succeed.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 PM

slowhabit,

Can you elaborate on The Blind Side? I just finished Moneyball and really enjoyed it.

My last few:

Money Ball (Michael Lewis) A great look at baseball from an analyitcal point of view. It primarily focuses on Billy Bean, how he scouts for under-valued players, and how this method generally keeps Oakland in contention for the AL West despite their tiny payroll. It also examines Bill James and the history of sabremetrics.

Confessions of an Economic Hitman (John Perkins) The author's own account of his time as a "consultant" for a company who's job was to go to under-developed countries and write bogus reports about the countries economic growth potential that were used to justify US loans that kept these countries in debt to the US forever. It was okay. Interesting stuff, just not enough elaboration IMO.

The Game (Neil Strauss) I only read because I kept hearing about it on 2+2, so no summary necessary. I liked it.