Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Another damn smartphone thread---700wx vs. HTC Mogul

I know that there is one of these about every day, but I haven't seen one of these phones discussed at all (the Mogul), and I'm interested in hearing some first-hand reviews and opinions from 2p2ers. I searched OOT for Mogul discussion and found none, but I suck at search, so if I missed something just let me know.

That being said, here we go: I'm interested in moving up to a smartphone, and the carrier I'm on (Sprint) offers two that I'm interested in, the Palm 700wx and the HTC Mogul. Both are supported by the email platform my company uses.

Palm 700wx

HTC Mogul

I'm going to be using this phone as my only phone, work email, occasional web-surfing, and for a lot of calendar related functions. I've been in the store, handled both of the phones, and really don't have a preference based on their form. I've also read a lot of reviews on phone forums, but those inevitably devolve into fanboys arguing about how much Windows or Palm sucks.

So, does anyone here have either of these phones? I'm especially interested in people who have the Mogul, as the Palm has been discussed in OOT before in other threads. Please leave the "iPhone roolz" talk out, I'd love to get one, but need to be on either Sprint or Verizon (BTW, if anyone can help me get out of my Sprint contract without a penalty, I'd love to hear from you.).
Old 08-15-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Another damn smartphone thread---755wx vs. HTC Mogul

DO NOT BUY THE PALM!

It had fanstastic battery life for me until about 1 year in, where it decided to just die withint 24 hours, pretty consistently.

Before this though I had the pleasure of completely rebooting my phone after 6 months, 3 months later, 2 months after then, the what seemed like bi-weekly. It would freeze up and take FOREVER to do anything!

I had this exact conversation with a guy at the bellagio and he loved the spring. I bought an envy and like it (said g'bye to smart phones).
Old 08-15-2007, 03:27 PM

That Mogul phone looks a lot like the T-Mobile Wing that we got for my wife and returned because it sucks so hard. Also, in general I think moving parts are trouble. You obviously want the Windows OS, but I have the 755p and like it a lot.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That Mogul phone looks a lot like the T-Mobile Wing that we got for my wife and returned because it sucks so hard. Also, in general I think moving parts are trouble. You obviously want the Windows OS, but I have the 755p and like it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the primary concerns that I have with the Mogul. The slide-open keyboard gives you easier typing ability, which would be nice because I have big hands. But, more moving parts means more stuff that can go wrong, so it may not be worth it. I'm really hoping that someone who posts here has one of these and can comment.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 PM

I have the AT&T 8525, which is similar to the Mogul in that it is made by HTC and has a sliding keyboard:

I've only had it 5 days so far. My preliminary thoughts:

* Battery life is not very long. I have to charge it every day. (Yesterday, I forgot to turn off MSN Messenger, and it ate a full battery overnight, so don't do that.)

* Phone functions could be better. I'm used to a regular phone, with real keys, and the touchscreen pad is a litte annoying. (You can't really slide out the keyboard if you're out and about.)

* The PDA functions are great. The Pocket PC is fast, and there is tons of software available for download.

* The keyboard is very usable. I had a Blackberry 7230 and the keyboard for the HTC is much better. I've only had it 5 days, so I can't speak for the durability.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the primary concerns that I have with the Mogul. The slide-open keyboard gives you easier typing ability, which would be nice because I have big hands. But, more moving parts means more stuff that can go wrong, so it may not be worth it. I'm really hoping that someone who posts here has one of these and can comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you did there.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 PM

I work as a repair technician for Sprint. I don't use a SmartPhone so I have no bias towards either, but I'll mention that although the Mogul is newer, I've seen MUCH less of them in for service or repair issues than I have the Treos (Windows or Palm).
Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 PM

Mogul and it's not close. Set up a comparison at phonescoop.com
Old 08-16-2007, 01:29 AM

I have and love the Mogul. It's brimming with features and does everything I want it to do.