Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Review of Crown Royal Cask #16?

Has anyone had the pleasure of trying this new Crown Royal out?

http://www.crownroyal.com/cask/about/

If so,can anyone post a quick review of their likes/dislikes of it? Considering grabbing up a bottle. Retailing for $99.99 and up for the 750ml and that is currently the only size available at retail. Also considering the Crown XR for 189.99.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Review of Crown Royal Cask #16?

This is all you need
Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM

* Not much of a Drinker.

My Dad was drinking this the other day, and he told me he was given the Crown Royal Cask #16 from his softball team (he is the manager). He let me dip my pinkie in his drink to taste (he had it in a "highball glass" with just ice). It was HOT! But it had a good taste.

I asked him why this is anything special. Well, he told me that you need more than one taste to really "taste" it and licking your finger doesn't really work. So, he poured me my own adult drink with some of the Crown, some ice, and some root beer.

I must say, this drink was very smooth and about half way through I started to feel warm in my ears and cheeks, and a little bit in my throat, some more warm in my chest and tummy. I was thinking this was the best adult drink I ever had and I was glad to be drinking the same stuff as my dad because he is very macho. He was pleased too, because I usually only drink wine coolers (if at all).

I was thinking about trying it again just before I read your post! However, my dad is out of town, and I see that he drew a pencil line to mark how much Crown is left. I don't want to upset the apple cart if you know what I mean. So, I am thinking of trying some brandy and a mix called Rosier's Lime Juice. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 AM

Are you much of a whisky drinker? What do you mean by 'adult' drink?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
* Not much of a Drinker.

My Dad was drinking this the other day, and he told me he was given the Crown Royal Cask #16 from his softball team (he is the manager). He let me dip my pinkie in his drink to taste (he had it in a "highball glass" with just ice). It was HOT! But it had a good taste.

I asked him why this is anything special. Well, he told me that you need more than one taste to really "taste" it and licking your finger doesn't really work. So, he poured me my own adult drink with some of the Crown, some ice, and some root beer.

I must say, this drink was very smooth and about half way through I started to feel warm in my ears and cheeks, and a little bit in my throat, some more warm in my chest and tummy. I was thinking this was the best adult drink I ever had and I was glad to be drinking the same stuff as my dad because he is very macho. He was pleased too, because I usually only drink wine coolers (if at all).

I was thinking about trying it again just before I read your post! However, my dad is out of town, and I see that he drew a pencil line to mark how much Crown is left. I don't want to upset the apple cart if you know what I mean. So, I am thinking of trying some brandy and a mix called Rosier's Lime Juice. I will let you all know how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.How old are you, 15?
2. Brandy and Rose's lime juice? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] That can't be good. Good luck though, post TR.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
* Not much of a Drinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.How old are you, 15?
2. Brandy and Rose's lime juice? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] That can't be good. Good luck though, post TR.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see that I am a little out of my league discussing adult drinks. I was just a bit excited to see that I just happened to have tasted some of the Crown Royal that was being asked about. Again, I don't drink much, but that is from personal choice. In case you wonder, I am over the drinking age, but I just don't drink much or very often. Most of the time I will just have a wine cooler (or similar drink) or two.

For those that are curious, I ended up changing my mind about the lime juice and brandy because my tummy was already a bit upset. My dad is still gone and my mom is having dinner out tonight, so I might mix something up from dad's cabinet. I think I might try some gin and rootbeer. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. My dad has a lot of bottles in his cabinet and some mixes.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 PM

Mixing anything other than an ice cube or a splash of water with a $100 bottle of whisky is pointless. This isn't meant to be snobbish. You don't buy an expensive bottle to cover up the flavor with root beer.

I'm not a big fan of the regular Crown Royal, it has a bit too sweet a flavor for me. I've never tried the 16 before.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:33 AM

Does anyone have a real review of this "adult drink"? Or should I start mixing it with rootbeer and maybe some fruit juice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 AM

i bought a bottle of it yesterday. got the 750 for $82 which i was pretty excited about, but have yet to try it because ive had too much school work, etc. fwiw, it smells very good and im planning on having some tomorrow. im a big crown fan, so my opinion may be a little biased. what should i be talking about aside from the fact that i liked it/thought it wasn't worth the money/etc??
Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Mostly, I'm interested in hearing what you think of it compared to other whiskeys you've had, esp. ones in this price range. And not just Canadian whiskeys, either. If this reminds you of a good bourbon or Irish whiskey, let us know.