Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

Plus, there is plenty about religion which is more about family and traditions than it is about god. It would make me very sad to see my family's traditions die. God has very little to do with it.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, WRT your comment about atheists being close minded. Well, I would agree with that. I am also close minded on a slew of other things such as basic mathematics(2+2=4) and things of that nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't implying that all aetheists are close-minded. The point I was making about close-mindedness was more about aetheists (often ones who consider themselves liberal and accepting) who ridicule and do not respect the beliefs of god-fearing folk, not aetheists in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam Harris types defend this by basically saying anyone who believed in something equally ridiculous but less popular (say, Scientology) would be ridiculed as well.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think indoctrinating children into organized Christianity does a great deal more harm than good

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I have to applaud this.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty dumb. at least from my experience in school, the religious kids were involved in many activities and in general, quite successful. i dont remember any religious burnouts and the like.

of course, there could be many other reasons for this (good families eg) but i simply dont remember any religious troublemakers.

also, i was anti religion as they come.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:18 AM

Man I love the Uppity Atheist.

OH MY, YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD, YOU ARE SO [censored] SMART. WRITE ME A 500 WORD ESSAY ABOUT IT.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OH MY, YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD, YOU ARE SO [censored] SMART. WRITE ME A 500 WORD ESSAY ABOUT IT.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a very clever name on here

ps I think your caps lock key is broken
Old 10-26-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's convenient because I love people who get offended that they're dumber than me.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you care if your future wife wants your children to go to church? Religious beliefs aside, how could having your children be church-goers for the early part of their lives and then allowing them to make a choice when they're capable of doing so have any detrimental effects on them? Maybe this is me projecting my experiences on the general population, but I do not know of one person raised in a strong family who was told to go to church growing up ended up being a bad person because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, sort of. I personally feel i have a negative view on organized religion because i was always forced to go to church while growing up, if i had my way i would of stopped going very young because i didn't like the kids in my bible study classes, thought the teachers were a joke for the most part, and hated all the singing. I was raised catholic and then in my early teens my parents decided to start going to christian church because my cousins were, i'm 26 and it still pisses me off thinking about it all.

My problem is i tend to prefer girls that at least have religious backgrounds, imo they tend to be more old fashion in terms of the gf that cooks and doesn't mind cleaning up and all, call me shallow but i like that trait in girls.

On the other hand when i marry a girl i don't want her family to be the uptide conservative religious types, because that's how my family is when everybody gets together. Nothing better than 30 some people getting together on a holiday and nobody drinks, not even a glass of wine amongst the whole bunch, and of course i don't because i don't want to stand out, i already feel like an outsider because i never go to church, and make money gambling and have premarital sex and all that fun stuff that condemns my soul eternally or whatever.

If i have to add another family via marriage, i want it to be one that can have a good time over the holidays and so on. One where if you mention a good movie you saw recently i wont get asked if it's rated "R" though?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, WRT your comment about atheists being close minded. Well, I would agree with that. I am also close minded on a slew of other things such as basic mathematics(2+2=4) and things of that nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a bingo!

Tuco.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God has very little to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least we can all agree on that.

Doesn't it bother you that if you take something arbitrary like religion out of your family's structure you would think less of the collective?

Tuco.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think indoctrinating children into organized Christianity does a great deal more harm than good

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I have to applaud this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear some peoples experiences or thoughts on how it has harmed children or their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely got a lot of [censored] at school from the kids and the teachers when they found out I didn't believe in god. My school was public but they happened to love to incorporate religion in inappropriate places, so whenever I said anything it turned into the rest of my school thinking I hated them, so I got shunned a lot by the kids and the faculty gave me a ton of [censored].

Not to mention my mom and dad were divorced at a young age, and my mom didn't take me to church but my dad did everytime I was over at his place on a sunday, and it was probably the most hellish time of the week for me simply because he knew how much we despised it and it occurred for about 10 years.

Here's an interesting story. I was going to sunday school in a small church, so basically about 10 kids of various ages in a circle discussing the bible, etc. They had these pamphlets with games to fill out every week, and this particular week's had a blank space on it with instructions telling us to 'draw jesus with his disciples,' and I think that lifetilted little gobbo because I added in 'with a gun' and drew jesus blasting away someone.

That started quite a clusterfuck between the church and my parents, and honestly I was too young to remember what happens, all I remember is that my dad was REALLY mad and my mom defended me of sorts. Honestly if my mom would chime in that would be good because I don't remember the aftermath but the summation of the story is that religion is [censored] up, but make sure you support their beliefs 100%.