Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like it would make more sense to give them the option to go instead of the option to leave. If they're truly going to be spiritual/religious (which is fine), I'd rather it be because they decided to be, not because that's what they were taught.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds backwards to me. If you grow up with understanding of a religion, you can decide it isn't for you later. On the other hand, if you don't learn about it, there is pretty much no chance of then finding religion later.

Think about all the people you know who were raised with religion and left it as they got older. Now try to name one who did the opposite.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think indoctrinating children into organized Christianity does a great deal more harm than good

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I have to applaud this.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think indoctrinating children into organized Christianity does a great deal more harm than good

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear some peoples experiences or thoughts on how it has harmed children or their lives.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like it would make more sense to give them the option to go instead of the option to leave. If they're truly going to be spiritual/religious (which is fine), I'd rather it be because they decided to be, not because that's what they were taught.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds backwards to me. If you grow up with understanding of a religion, you can decide it isn't for you later. On the other hand, if you don't learn about it, there is pretty much no chance of then finding religion later.

Think about all the people you know who were raised with religion and left it as they got older. Now try to name one who did the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't name any, but I can name a lot who are certain their God is the true God and don't really have anything to back up their claim.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a really, really good reason why most people who aren't raised religious will never decide on their own to be religious. Finding Jesus (or religious figure of choice) is really, really hard.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 PM

Exactly. That's why it's important to people to raise their kids with the religion that they believe in. This will never make any sense to people who are against religion and will create an impasse between people with different religious traditions when kids are involved.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds like one of the bigger indictments of religion to me.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. That's why it's important to people to raise their kids with the religion that they believe in. This will never make any sense to people who are against religion and will create an impasse between people with different religious traditions when kids are involved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, it makes sense. If you don't get 'em while they're young, they'll see how much hokum it is.

Put it this way, you don't have to find God if you don't invent and subsequently lose him.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear some peoples experiences or thoughts on how it has harmed children or their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was raised being told fake stories of an invisible man in the sky who would burn me for eternity if I did not follow my parents orders. Is that good?

I wasted a lot of time studying an man made book, time that could have better spent on other more useful pursuits.

All in all it was not too bad, but I am sure it's much worse for other people.

Also, WRT your comment about atheists being close minded. Well, I would agree with that. I am also close minded on a slew of other things such as basic mathematics(2+2=4) and things of that nature.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, WRT your comment about atheists being close minded. Well, I would agree with that. I am also close minded on a slew of other things such as basic mathematics(2+2=4) and things of that nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't implying that all aetheists are close-minded. The point I was making about close-mindedness was more about aetheists (often ones who consider themselves liberal and accepting) who ridicule and do not respect the beliefs of god-fearing folk, not aetheists in general.