Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
Watch the movie "Eurotrip." This contains just about every stereotype we have of you guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I dislike is when Europeans judge American government without really knowing US history (...)

I also dislike the more socialized forms of government found in Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehm... LOL?

Also, what historic information should alter, say someone that thinks the US is doing horrible stuff in the Middle East and has done even more so in South America?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:40 AM

As a rule of thumb just refer to this;

How Americans View the World.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at africa.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

winner
Old 10-21-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I generally think Europeans have a better attitude towards life (especially as it pertains to balancing work with other interests) and better forms of government of the US. But I still like America better because we have a lot more TV channels and soccer sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I would say the opposite. They have better attitudes about everything but work & government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Europeans work to live

Americans live to work

Isn't that it? Minimum wage, 35 hour working week, Vive la France!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I dislike is when Europeans judge American government without really knowing US history (...)

I also dislike the more socialized forms of government found in Europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehm... LOL?

Also, what historic information should alter, say someone that thinks the US is doing horrible stuff in the Middle East and has done even more so in South America?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the entire history of the world from the Middle Ages on. Europe has not exactly been a hands-off benign entity, bringing peace and stability everywhere it goes. Almost every conflict world-wide has some originating issue with European colonialism and the division of the world after the two world wars.

What bothers me about Europeans (or at least the generic portrayal of Europeans in the media) is the perception that their hands are clean in the world and that all conflict is the fault of the ugly Americans.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:46 AM

This thread should have more heated discussion imo.

Therefore I submit the following:

- Americans are generally more superficial than Europeans. This is reflected in everything from Hollywood movies to celebrity obsession to SUV's to general interest in foreign matters. I find it's reflected on a micro-scale as well. Personal interactions seem to be more shallow in the US.

- The smartest Americans are smarter than the smartest Europeans, but the stupidest Americans are stupider than the stupidest Europeans, and the number of stupid people is far higher than the number of smart people. Whether this is a good, bad or neutral thing I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's a fact.

- Your chicks: Not very hot imo, and you have a [censored] up beauty ideal. Fake-titted blonds covered in 3 kilos of makeup are generally not hot fyi. Oh, that reminds me:

- The metric system is far superior to your retarded pounds, feet, inches and whatnot. Why the hell would you have a system where the units aren't using fixed, easy to calculate, conversion factors? Have fun with Myanmar and Liberia (lol) as the only countries in the world that hasn't adopted the metric system as their primary or sole system of measurement.

- Religion. Two-thirds in the poll said creationism, the idea that God created humans in their present form within the past 10,000 years, is definitely or probably true. WTF?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell would you have a system where the units aren't using fixed, easy to calculate, conversion factors?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because, for most things, those factors don't have nearly the importance to justify the cost of switching. For endeavors where such things are critical, metric is already being used. Who cares whether a highway sign says 100km or 60mi? I'd actually rather the US went metric, but there's no good reason to spend the money on doing it.

[ QUOTE ]
Your chicks: you have a [censored] up beauty ideal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, this is just begging for a comment about not being able to distinguish between eurotrash men and women. Androgyny rules!

I do agree that Europe seems to have a better handle on the work/vacation balance. I guess working long hours seems kind of pointless when you hand over 60% of your paycheck to the government.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do agree that Europe seems to have a better handle on the work/vacation balance. I guess working long hours seems kind of pointless when you hand over 60% of your paycheck to the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that people in Europe value time with their friends/family/doing stuff they want to do, and also that money is not as highly valued as it is in American culture. Where the hell in Europe are people paying 60% tax?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell would you have a system where the units aren't using fixed, easy to calculate, conversion factors?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because, for most things, those factors don't have nearly the importance to justify the cost of switching. For endeavors where such things are critical, metric is already being used. Who cares whether a highway sign says 100km or 60mi? I'd actually rather the US went metric, but there's no good reason to spend the money on doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so you have pretty much proved his point - that you use an inferior system because of the hassle of switching over.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Americans are [censored] really annoying as tourists in the main. I used to go to France a lot with my parents when I was a kid to go hiking in the mountains and checking out castles, WWII sites etc. I can't remember the amount of times there was a fat, loud American tourist annoying the hell out of everyone. Speaking so everyone within a mile could hear them, making ignorant comments and just being irritating in general. This may be just a select few giving the rest a bad name, but I'm not sure.