Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 07:33 PM

Default The mental aspect is now > the strategy aspect? (within reason)

I have played just 9 hours this week. I haven't been focused, I've switched limits, number of tables, styles etc. Rewind to Jan-March and I was a 2-4nl 8 tabling machine.

I've been finding myself feeling bored whilst playing, so I then try playing really laggy (like 50/40) and it works for 15 mins then I get 3bet loads and so quit the tables and go watch tv or something.

It's almost like I don't want to play a 20/17 game becuase it's now so standard, that I want to try and be the guy being noticed at the table, trying to dominate it (maybe due to more regulars at tables than there used to be?).

Anyways, I guess I was wondering if anyone else goes through weeks where a big factor is getting in as many hands as possible, and other weeks where you just want to chill and enjoy yourself.

Maybe this is a psychology post, but I think in terms of weekly profit, it is more important for me to get in the number of hands and get myself mental zoned in to playing sensibly and a solid 30 hour-a-week game, than a 'sit down at a table for 30 mins, play like a lag joker, pretend im a fish when in fact im just trying to lay a huge trap' style.

anyone else struggle to focus? right now i'm just enjoying having a good time, not having any worries, but part of me is thinking 'come on, go grind you lazy [censored]!'
Old 07-27-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: The mental aspect is now > the strategy aspect? (within reason)

i'd also add the reason behind my subject.

i feel i know how to play tag, how to play lag (okay sure i can improve on both, but i consider myself a winner at either style), and that rather than considering how to play, i should be sorting out my mind so that i play sensibly and for long enough periods of time.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:37 PM

The 50/40 guy is noticed at the table because he is a winning lottery ticket for everyone else.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 PM

Maybe you should try working out atleast a bit every day, and then play short schedualed sessions. Trying something new is always g00t
Old 07-28-2007, 04:05 AM

this is so fun to do and i find myself doing it. i dont see a problem with it unless u find urself losing a lot with this style. when i do it i usually break about even unless i hit alot of running flushes that day.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it works for 15 mins then I get 3bet loads and so quit the tables and go watch tv or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like a waste of the image you just earned; y not stay and tighten up a little to get paid off