Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Default top trips = trash?

bodog 5/10 5 or 6-handed.

villain is unknown to me, except for an earlier hand where he called my raise from the blinds, check-called a Q high flop, and his AK high was good at showdown when we checked the rest. so, he's probably not that good. also he openlimps button, as we'll see shortly

villain openlimps button, I complete with T9cc, bb checks. we're about 1200 deep I think, except bb but he doesnt matter.

flop TT4 rainbow, checks around.

Turn 6 brings a spade draw, I lead 27, bb folds, button raises to 77, I make it 200 straight. He thinks for a bit and makes it 800 or something, basically a shove. I fold.

Good, or would yall play it differently on flop/turn/(river plan)? Obviously a flop lead is fine, but I think checking is better here for a few reasons.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: top trips = trash?

seems good- I find villains who check/call ace high don't 3bet semibluff flush draws. He has AT or better just about always. NH.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:30 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

I like a flop lead, as I need to be seen leading with that hand sometimes for all the other trash I will lead here with. Also, I think it creates by far your best chance of winning a biggish pot here.

I don't like turn 3-bet at all
Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 AM

weird spot, checking the flop against unknown is ok for deception/induce bluff/ let him catch, but then after you 3 bet to 200 your hand becomes face up (yeti thereom aside). I like how you played this alot though.

edit: I'm curious as to why the 3bet is so small on the turn assuming he's going to take one off with flush draw in position on you.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:44 AM

hm i dunno...i would tend to lead flop but that is not a big deal, esp since you said u have reasons for check here (what are they?)

I would just call his turn raise but as played i think a fold was good
for the fish you describe i dont think there are any hands that check that flop and raise that turn that you are ahead of...(basically i dont see a donk raising this turn with a fd...hed prolly just call but i a river bluff by donk who misses doesnt seem unreasonable here)
Old 03-27-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems good- I find villains who check/call ace high don't 3bet semibluff flush draws. He has AT or better just about always. NH.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i used to see alot of donks limp there button with small pairs like fours and sixes on bodog so i can find the fold button here most of the time agaisnt this villian,

wow i miss playing on bodog
Old 03-27-2007, 02:59 AM

I don't think I like the turn 3-bet. I mean you're in an awkward spot on the river if he call. I'd just call the initial raise to 77 and c/c river.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:07 AM

flop check can definitely create some nice scenarios, but i think its overall less +ev because it gets checked around so often.

i like the turn fold and the more i think about it, i really dont mind your b3b/f.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
flop check can definitely create some nice scenarios, but i think its overall less +ev because it gets checked around so often.

i like the turn fold and the more i think about it, i really dont mind your b3b/f.

[/ QUOTE ]

after button raises the flop, we can break his range into air, flush draw, T, or worse made hand. if we 3-bet, air and probably worse made hands like A6 will probably just fold. that might be pessimistic but i don't think you get A6 to call the 200 then another 400 on the river. and that's the only weak made hand like that. 77 and 44 prob all bet the flop or dont raise the turn.

flush draws OCCASIONALLY bluff shove but mostly they just fold too. if he has a T, it's probably bigger and you're in horrible shape, with 3 to win and 6 to chop, or having to fold when 9 river cards could come that give you a virtual lock. if you call and check the river, you might be able to induce a bluff from a weak made hand or missed flush draw, and maybe a value bet from a worse hand. if he makes a weak bet, you can make a value c/r. i think there's more money to be made playing the hand that way
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 AM

open limping the button normally means they suck. except for raptor, he is onto something.

i like your fold. dont know if i love the 3bet. i like it with 57, spade spade, boat, and KT+.