Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Player really can\'t afford to play

[ QUOTE ]

My only concern is that if either GoodP or myself is stuck for the night, we may want to recoup our losses from LAGP.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't sound like you feel that bad for him, you only feel bad taking his money if you were up, if you are just recouping your losses then it's ok? i think you need to decide whether you want to help this guy or not, this may include not having him as your "guaranteed profit" at the end of the night.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:23 AM

Well, while your moral standing is admirable,and understandable, you have to just leave things as they are; the player from whom you are taking the most money is a good player's bread and butter,and come along not often enough. He knows what he's doing, whether he's good or not. If you tell him the truth, you will insult him; if you kick him out of your game to spare his wallet, you will insult him; if you lower the game requirements, you all lose money; if you wish, try your best to teach lagp as you take his money, but, by all means, take his money while you can...
Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you aren't good enough friends with the guy to talk with him straight-forwardly then just let it go. Take his $.
I'm not saying to take advantage of him. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that I should take his $$, but not take advantage of him. In this situation, I don't know if this is possible.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My only concern is that if either GoodP or myself is stuck for the night, we may want to recoup our losses from LAGP.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't sound like you feel that bad for him, you only feel bad taking his money if you were up, if you are just recouping your losses then it's ok? i think you need to decide whether you want to help this guy or not, this may include not having him as your "guaranteed profit" at the end of the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind him losing money, but not at the current rate. It may sound odd and slightly contradictory, but it is how I feel. Guilt is a funny thing. GoodP seems to feel the same way.

I play poker for fun and to make a little extra cash on the side. Knowing that LAGP is getting slammed and can't really afford it takes the 'fun' element out of the game.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would try to play limit at least as an experiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit is a bad idea for a LAGtard. He will get bored and pwned when he can't push people off of hands or feel cool and bluff big.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that limit may seem boring to him and others in the game (I love short-handed limit fwiw). Ideally, I would like to have a mixed-game format but there is no way that is going to happen with this group. They like the 'aaaaaaallll-iiinnnnnn'
Old 11-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Hey,
I just came across this post and found it really interesting. This suggestion may be way out in left field, but just an idea: Why dont you suggest that you switch to, or every other game can be a $20-30 tournament? That way strategy and no limit play can still be apart of your game, but there is a cap on the amount lost and won. You can make the blinds rather long (1/2 hrs) and have a great game that lasts a while, and when people get knocked out, esp. LagP, they can stick around and pick up more tips by watching those who are still in. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey,
I just came across this post and found it really interesting. This suggestion may be way out in left field, but just an idea: Why dont you suggest that you switch to, or every other game can be a $20-30 tournament? That way strategy and no limit play can still be apart of your game, but there is a cap on the amount lost and won. You can make the blinds rather long (1/2 hrs) and have a great game that lasts a while, and when people get knocked out, esp. LagP, they can stick around and pick up more tips by watching those who are still in. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Every other game would be a tournament? Do you mean every other time we meet?

We used to play tournaments until I suggested we try cash games. ( [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ) LAGP didn't improve his game at all during these tourneys. However, LAGP did do better in tourneys because he couldn't get badly hurt by being very aggressive. When he builds up a big stack, he can bully the table pretty well (although, he usually overbullies).

I think they all like being in continuous action and not having to wait on the sidelines until the tournament is over.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(4) scott1:
I may go with this idea. He will still be a losing player, but maybe not as bad if we quit at 3 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't look for ways to reduce this guys losses and at the same time keep it as an option to take all of his money if you need it!

Also maybe you should set a fairly low max buyin limit? Might slow him down a bit if he realises how often he is rebuying.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(4) scott1:
I may go with this idea. He will still be a losing player, but maybe not as bad if we quit at 3 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't look for ways to reduce this guys losses and at the same time keep it as an option to take all of his money if you need it!

Also maybe you should set a fairly low max buyin limit? Might slow him down a bit if he realises how often he is rebuying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that if I have an understanding with GoodP that we stop at 3-handed, then we will have to stick with this policy regardless of our losses for the night. I'm just saying that it might be hard to follow this rule if one of us is really stuck or just wants to play longer.

We have an unspoken max buy-in limit off $20, which is 40BB. I think that most 2p2ers would think this is low enough already.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:27 AM

i agree with the "if you're not good enough friends to discuss it with him" than it's not your concern about his cashflow. at the least maybe a "how about we play a tourney so everyone only has to risk x amount" We always had the guys when we played "dealer choice" a few years ago, that would hit the atm twice everytime we played...in the end, he's an adult, i personally would take his money if he didn't want to take my advice