FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Investing for ssnlers: my 3 year anniversary gift to ssnl

[ QUOTE ]
holyfield,

pm sent

[/ QUOTE ]

Snowbank,

I would also be interested in any book recommendations if its not too much trouble.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thought I'd give this a bump...as I'm currently considering getting into real estate.

A couple questions for anybody that can answer them:

1)What type of mortgage is ideal for flipping? Would a higher rate/higher rebate mortgage such as a fixed rate w/ negative points be optimal considering we won't be holding the property long?
2)What about rentals?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. negative points on the back end(i.e., the rate). If you intend to flip quickly the rate won't hurt you much. Just make sure you don't get stuck holding onto it and have a crappy rate. The best kind of mortgage on a flip is no mortgage. If you are flipping and you can buy with cash it will add a good % to your margin since you will save a good chunk of closing costs since you wouldn't be getting a loan. Another option is a HML if you are doing a lot of work to the property and don't have much money to put down, sometimes you can get in with less money this way since they'll loan to you based on completed value of the property. You're rate will be higher obviously, but that's another option for flipping.
2. depends heavily on how long you'll be holding
Old 05-15-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
holyfield,

pm sent

[/ QUOTE ]

Snowbank,

I would also be interested in any book recommendations if its not too much trouble.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the top of my head, general investing mindset type books that I think are good if you are starting:

Think and Grow Rich
Richest Man in Babylon
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

There's tons of real estate books, and most focus on a certain aspect of real estate. If someone wants a book recommendation on a certain type of real estate book, lemme know and I'll see what I know of.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 AM

nh clayton
Old 05-15-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
holyfield,

pm sent

[/ QUOTE ]

Snowbank,

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the top of my head, general investing mindset type books that I think are good if you are starting:

Think and Grow Rich
Richest Man in Babylon
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

There's tons of real estate books, and most focus on a certain aspect of real estate. If someone wants a book recommendation on a certain type of real estate book, lemme know and I'll see what I know of.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol I just read The Richest Man in Babylon and I thought it was great. So simple, but yet so helpful.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
holyfield,

pm sent

[/ QUOTE ]

Snowbank,

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Think and Grow Rich
Richest Man in Babylon
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

[/ QUOTE ]
lol I just read The Richest Man in Babylon and I thought it was great. So simple, but yet so helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, it's real old, and pretty basic, but with a lot of the same principles that a book like RDPD has. Have you read RDPD? That almost seemed like the newer version of the Richest Man in Babylon when I read it a few years ago.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:14 PM

bump? someone linked to this in a MSNL thread on investing.

Snowbank - not sure if you still look in SSNL. This is a little unrelated, but I'm a full time poker pro. Right now i'm renting (which obviously is lighting money on fire)... but anyway, this is my first year as a pro... what kind of difficulties (if any) do you imagine I'll encounter in trying to get a mortgage on real estate? Obviously banks/lenders have preconceived notions about professional "gamblers". If you don't mind (don't know if you know anything about this) - I would really like to hear about your thoughts on this issues.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
looks really good, gonna read it later.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump? someone linked to this in a MSNL thread on investing.

Snowbank - not sure if you still look in SSNL. This is a little unrelated, but I'm a full time poker pro. Right now i'm renting (which obviously is lighting money on fire)... but anyway, this is my first year as a pro... what kind of difficulties (if any) do you imagine I'll encounter in trying to get a mortgage on real estate? Obviously banks/lenders have preconceived notions about professional "gamblers". If you don't mind (don't know if you know anything about this) - I would really like to hear about your thoughts on this issues.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...ue#Post10142177
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 AM

Sorry for the bump, but what about these funds that invest in real estate?

I found this one (it's dutch but you can see the graph of their stock value on the right). They give you up to 7% dividend a year+ the stocks can go up, as well as down ofcourse.

They just rent out the real estate they buy, and pay the dividend out of that income, and as a company, if they do well the stocks will go up.

Are these any good?