Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: No 3rd party registration for the WSOP

I am a little confused about this $10k chip. From the discussion in this thread I get the impression that this is a chip that you can ONLY use to buy in to the $10k Main Event.

However, from reading the RGT article linked by adanthar (linked above in McMelchior's post), I read it as this is a $10,000 gaming chip issued by Rio, which happens to have a WSOP insignia on it, and could therefore be used in the pits or even .... cashed out.

Anyone have any concrete information on this ?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a little confused about this $10k chip. From the discussion in this thread I get the impression that this is a chip that you can ONLY use to buy in to the $10k Main Event.

However, from reading the RGT article linked by adanthar (linked above in McMelchior's post), I read it as this is a $10,000 gaming chip issued by Rio, which happens to have a WSOP insignia on it, and could therefore be used in the pits or even .... cashed out.

Anyone have any concrete information on this ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's the chips I am thinking of, it's simply a 10K Tourney chip. You can use it however you like, in tournaments, but it cannot be cashed out or used in the pit.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if it's "good for nothing but Rio Tournaments" couldn't you use it to buy-in to, say, 5 of the $2k events, or any combination of $10k?

I think this would thin the ME field kind of dramatically, as anyone that Qs could get 5x (or possibly more) play if they enterred multiple events.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

90% of the people that show up for the ME come the week of. There aren't nearly enough tournaments that week to easily spend your 10K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I know that's what I'd want to do given the choice? I suppose most people don't have the ability to just go to Vegas for a week or two to play in 5 events, but you're going to be taking off just as much time to try and play in the ME so why not?

Stars only gives the room for the duration of the ME I guess, but is a hotel in Vegas really that expensive?

If you had a $10k budget for all-things WSOP, wouldn't you enter multiple events instead of just the ME?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you'd have to have been there before. Sure, if you took off a month to go to Vegas, and could get your 10K chip early enough...I'm sure I'd play a bunch of events.

But the VAST majority of people don't do that. Most people show up the day before their start date, and plan on going home. Even 2p2'ers who love Vegas and have basically no jobs most of the time don't even plan to stay out their free hotel rooms.

FWIW. If you had to get a decent vegas hotel room on no notice, I bet you'd pay in the 200-250$/night range..

[/ QUOTE ]

Most events are only 2 or 3 days long. You can easily play 10k in events in a week or 10 days at most as you aren't going to be making Day 2 very often. I just don't see the allure of the ME that most people do I guess, it just doesn't seem like nearly as good of a value particularly if 10k is a significant portion of your BR.

You can stay at someplace for $100 (or even less) if all you really care about is a decent bed. And that's for one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...not really.

Think about it this way. The majority of people only play NL. So that automatically drastically alters the # of events they may enter.

Just look at the schedule and show me where the average player is going to spend 10K. If you show up 10 days early, get your chip, and go to play tournaments here is what the avg person could enter:

5K NL 6-max - I doubt many people are going to pass on the 10K ME and play the 5K SH Tournament
2K NL - Okay, 8K left
1.5K NL - Okay, 6.5K left
1K Rebuy NL - Anyone with half a brain isn't going to enter this without a bunch of money.

So now you have 6.5K left and NOTHING you can do with it. I don't see anyone doing this.

The allure of the ME is that it is the softest tournament in existence with the highest prize pool. That's what people want to play.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM

What are you talking about? They have a TON of lower buy-in events this year, many of which are NLHE. A quick scan of the events and I see half dozen $1,500 events, some $2k, some $2,500, some $3k, and a $5k. There are plenty enough events to spend $10k on, especially if you include anything other than NLHE. The lower LO8 tourney has a joke of a field.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you talking about? They have a TON of lower buy-in events this year, many of which are NLHE. A quick scan of the events and I see half dozen $1,500 events, some $2k, some $2,500, some $3k, and a $5k. There are plenty enough events to spend $10k on, especially if you include anything other than NLHE. The lower LO8 tourney has a joke of a field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude.

Random people cannot take off an entire month to go to vegas and piddle around in 200$/night hotel rooms.

Like 80-90% of the ME is just random guys. Not poker players. As I said earlier, a HUGE % of the field in the ME flies in the night before they play and plan to leave the day after they bust. Even if they had the option to play earlier, they wouldn't even know how to go about it...and some of them may not even know that other events occur. They have jobs. They have families. They are not 22 year old poker players who have no responsibilities.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude.

Random people cannot take off an entire month to go to vegas and piddle around in 200$/night hotel rooms.

Like 80-90% of the ME is just random guys. Not poker players. As I said earlier, a HUGE % of the field in the ME flies in the night before they play and plan to leave the day after they bust. Even if they had the option to play earlier, they wouldn't even know how to go about it...and some of them may not even know that other events occur. They have jobs. They have families. They are not 22 year old poker players who have no responsibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, sucks to be them I guess.

And I realize most the ME field will not be able to do that, but I still think the fact that you get a $10k tournament chip will end up cutting down on the field. As other people have said, you can just take your $10k chip to a 1-table satellite, buy-up everyone's entry fees and then you either have $10k cash or you have like $5k cash with 5 individual $1k tournament chips, which will be a lot easier to get rid of.

I just think with it not being a FORCED direct buy-in, the field will be down some.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I realize most the ME field will not be able to do that, but I still think the fact that you get a $10k tournament chip will end up cutting down on the field. As other people have said, you can just take your $10k chip to a 1-table satellite, buy-up everyone's entry fees and then you either have $10k cash or you have like $5k cash with 5 individual $1k tournament chips, which will be a lot easier to get rid of.

[/ QUOTE ]

No..you can't. You could at the beginning of the wsop last year, but they stopped these transactions from happening for this exact reason.

If I had to venture a guess as to how much this will effect this years field..I'd guess somewhere around...maybe...2.5%
Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 PM

They stopped this last year? I've been to a couple circuit events and it was still going on, I suppose they may have different rules though.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They stopped this last year? I've been to a couple circuit events and it was still going on, I suppose they may have different rules though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I got stopped several times trying to pass off my last two 500$ chips. As the days progressed, they got more strict.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody know if it's possible to sell this "Main Event 10k Token", therefore making entries transferable?

ie: Sell the chip to some guy in line who's buying in anyways for 95% or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very important question. I think a lot of casual players like me would prefer to win a non-transferable seat for tax reasons.