Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Why can\'t I believe? (is it a genetic predisposition?)

I, and others, have the inability to believe in a divine power despite attempts of religious schooling and the general institutionalized instruments within society to promote such a disillusionment. Though, as I guess I have made apparent, I am somewhat educated on the concept of atheism and antitheism I am interested to understand why some of us, even as children, are unable to conform and believe in God even after immense efforts.

I have 2 questions:

Supposing I wanted the ability to believe in a a God but just didn't have it in me to fulfil such a longing; am I a lesser or richer person than somebody who can?

Secondly, what are the chances that some people are born with a genetic predisposition rendering them incapable of faith and if such a gene exists; would you wish it upon your children?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Why can\'t I believe? (is it a genetic predisposition?)

It's called skepticism. Those who are logically minded are less likely to take things that don't conform to rationality as being true without some sort of definitive proof.

Think of how easily some people are amazed by an apparent coincidence. They just don't need many examples of an astrological sign matching up to a personality type, in order to be convinced. Or to have too many good days with a lucky charm to think there must be something to it. I just PM'd bunny about an extraordinary coincidence that ocurred in my life that I STILL to this day wonder about. Yet, I still can't bring myself to believe in paranormal premonitions or ESP, etc.

You can use the terms rationality, gullibility, or skepticism. It all comes down to the same thing. Intelligent people who are well educated are less likely to believe something out of hand. If it doesn't make sense to them, they'll want proof. The more outragious the claim, the more proof they'll need.

A rationally minded person looks at virgin births and coming back from the dead and says, "Wait a minute!... This is contrary to everything we know about the world and the way things work. Why would it be logical to conclude this happened in this one instance?".

Because of this, never a believer will he be.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:34 PM

1 - I would instead phrase it as; they lack the ability NOT to 'believe'. In other words, you have something they do not.

2 - I have no idea, and yes.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 PM

I have 2 questions:

Supposing I wanted the ability to believe in a a God but just didn't have it in me to fulfil such a longing; am I a lesser or richer person than somebody who can?

From a biblical point of view the first question might be personality dependent. If you can believe in God and transform your life you will start to receive what the bible calls the fruits of the spirit. There are nine: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. But its personality dependent because it would build on how happy the person was to start with.

Secondly, what are the chances that some people are born with a genetic predisposition rendering them incapable of faith and if such a gene exists; would you wish it upon your children?

I don't know if genetics could/would play a role in the spiritual realm, but if one is seriously motivated in the right way I don't know why he couldn't get faith. I wouldn't wish it on my children because I'd hope they can have a spiritual side to their life and realize the promises that come from the additional spiritual life.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 PM

1. Richer and it's not close, belief in a fantasy is a mind-crippling state.
2. We are born with a good chunk of our personality, and rationality and skepticism are personality traits so the tendency to be a non-believer in X is likely fairly basic. The psychological need for other religious trappings is part of our personality, so ditto.
If I could inject my children with a questioning attitude I'd administer it myself. They can end up believing what they want, just as long as they get there down an non-deluded honest road.
Religious belief robs life of so much of it's meaning I'd like to see them having the best shot to avoid that greyness.

luckyme
Old 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 2 questions:

From a biblical point of view the first question might be personality dependent. If you can believe in God and transform your life you will start to receive what the bible calls the fruits of the spirit. There are nine: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. But its personality dependent because it would build on how happy the person was to start with.

I don't know if genetics could/would play a role in the spiritual realm, but if one is seriously motivated in the right way I don't know why he couldn't get faith. I wouldn't wish it on my children because I'd hope they can have a spiritual side to their life and realize the promises that come from the additional spiritual life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be sort of intellectually interested in the question of whether someone can be born incapable of having faith or believing in God. You should be far more alarmed. Panicked, in fact. It is a monumental problem for you.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 PM

I'm not sure what the personal attack on me is all about vhawk. I was answering the op. He's on an open forum asking for input. Do you think he wants only 1 sided answers or answers that give him multiple ideas?

I thought people brainstormed on here. Can you brainstorm with no opposing view?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what the personal attack on me is all about vhawk. I was answering the op. He's on an open forum asking for input. Do you think he wants only 1 sided answers or answers that give him multiple ideas?

I thought people brainstormed on here. Can you brainstorm with no opposing view?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a personal attack. An inborn inability to have faith or believe in God has to be the single greatest threat to your religion. If this is true, you cannot possibly continue to be a Christian. Aren't you worried about this?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM

No, I don't worry about that. If there was an inborn inability there are still plenty of others around showing they have the ability.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if one is seriously motivated in the right way I don't know why he couldn't get faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to "motivate" myself into believing in the tooth fairy. How should I go about this?