Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Improving running times?

[ QUOTE ]

Thats very impressive, but I think that training for shorter distances is a little different than training for a 10k

[/ QUOTE ]

These posters are suggesting that it requires speed work
to run one mile in under 6 minutes. 6 minute mile is
only 22.5 secs per 100 meters pace. It doesn't take
speed work to run that pace.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thats very impressive, but I think that training for shorter distances is a little different than training for a 10k

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do you suggest OP go from a 7m to 6m mile?

We've got suggestions:

1. fartlek
2. intervals of various lengths
3. varying length and pace of runs: going occasionally faster in addition to adding longer slower runs

So far from you we have what? That the goal is a bad idea in the first place and that you had a sub 6m 10k when you were running 60 miles a week. How about something for him? You've been there and done that, great-- time to add. Bear in mind that there are some limits to the overall volume and intensity change desired here.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do lots of slow miles you'll get very good indeed at running lots of miles slowly.

[/ QUOTE ]
While the rest of your advice is good, the above quote is used often and incorrectly. By running lots of miles(no matter the pace), you are better prepared for faster paced running, even at the mile distance. Being in Sydney, I'll assume you've heard of Arthur Lydiard and his long and slow training methods. He's only trained Olympic Champions and World Record holders at the mile distance using lots of slow miles. Everything has a place and a purpose and to dismiss heavy slow mileage is wrong.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By running lots of miles(no matter the pace), you are better prepared for faster paced running, even at the mile distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Banks, I quite agree. I'm not knocking the Long Slow Distance approach (LSD). It's exceptionally important to build stamina by clocking those long runs - in fact, I'll be off for a two hour plus jog later today. I was just suggesting that if that's all you're going to do, you won't get that much faster.

You need to mix it up somewhat. The guy who wants to do the mile in under 6:00 will still have to do some long runs to get his stamina levels up.

You can't train for a mile race by doing lots of one mile sprints. You need the longer runs at any easy pace. And anyway, the hills and the sprints hurt like [censored] - the long runs by comparison are quite relaxing...
Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right, you don't need speedwork to run at that pace for 100m. But we're talking about a mile. Continuing your reducto ad absurdum, it's only 2.25 seconds for 10 metres. My Gran could do that...

Speed is relative. What you may consider to be speedwork, others may consider to be a gentle afternoon stroll.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:47 AM

you can prolly look up what kind of workouts college track teams do for the one mile.

my little sister runs the 800 for University of Kentucky.

She does 45 minute runs alot.
they do interval work alot
they run hills alot.
they do circuit training lifting.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I never did speed work. My PR for the 10K is 36.03. That's 5:47/m for 6.2 miles. I was running over 60 miles a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's impressive. The OP appears to run at most 4 times a week, totaling between 9 and 15 miles. He'd like to improve his mile time. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Run more. Simple as that.

If you're running 10 mi/wk, you don't need speedwork to improve in a mile, you need consistent running. I used to do sub 5:30 pace for a 2 mile run without ever doing speedwork, just running 4-6 days per week, at least once at a decent pace. You could even make an argument that speedwork is detrimental to a low-volume runner because it keeps them from upping their volume -- in other words, if you run 1.5 mile hard on the track, you may have been able to run 4-5 mile at a similar effort and gotten more endurance benefit. A mile run for a non-competitive runner isn't limited by speed, it is limited by endurance at pace.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Running intervals both hurt and get you injured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?? Just stretch and warm up, you'll be fine

If you are on a track try doing some 400m intervals. (1 lap) Its not fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never did speed work. My PR for the 10K is 36.03. That's 5:47/m for 6.2 miles. I was running over 60 miles a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats

Because it worked for you =/= optimal

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show us the data that says it is "optimal" for a 10 mile per week runner to best benefit by speedwork rather than higher mileage. I'd be shocked.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can prolly look up what kind of workouts college track teams do for the one mile.

my little sister runs the 800 for University of Kentucky.

She does 45 minute runs alot.
they do interval work alot
they run hills alot.
they do circuit training lifting.

[/ QUOTE ]

The regimen for a trained athlete trying to compete at the mile would be a terrible blueprint for a low-volume runner looking to get a little faster in the mile. Trained, competitive athletes already have an excellent endurance base -- building your endurance base will yield the best results for a low-volume runner looking to get faster.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM

I'm glad to see that there's as much difference in opinion from everyone on running as there is on lifting too.

Thanks for everything written so far. I figured the thread had died, but it looks like I missed out on some stuff.

Currently I've been mixing things up and doing some form of running every other day rotating between ~3 mile jogs, ~5 mile jogs, and some sort of sprints which change from time to time. I haven't timed my mile run recently, but I'm sure I've improved some already.

One thing I've noticed is that I find it really hard to run at all the day after squats or deadlifts, but still try and and get out even if it's more of a casual run.