Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 PM

Default job background check

this is a little off topic but i didnt kno where else to post so here it is. if anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

i recently applied for a job as a firefighter and passed all phases of the selection process except for the background check (starts next month). they said they r checking for employment and academic records. will they see every job i had and all of my grades?

i have a steady work history but there r 2 side/weekend jobs that i just left without the 2 week notice in 2004 and my grades arent as good as they should be either. should i be worried?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Re: job background check

Relax... if you are not a criminal... and didn't lie about anything on your resume/job application, you will be fine!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:20 PM

im no criminal but does leaving out certain jobs on the application count as lying?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:41 PM

I'm a good source for you here, used to be a supervisor for ChoicePoint, a major company that conducts background checks nationwide. Here is how they operated when I worked for them:

We are going to do a job verfication from all jobs YOU listed on your application, usually back 5 years. We are also looking for gaps in employment, so if these side jobs were extra jobs, and you don't really have any gaps in your employment history (where, like you could have been incarcerated - ya know) then no red flags will be waving.

Coupled with the fact that you don't have a criminal record, you should be fine.

On the educational side, most of time we would verify highest degree received, so if you only did some college but no degree, we'd just go straight to the highschool. It is highly unlikely your firefighters will be concerned about your GPA, only concern is that you got the degree you stated you got. GPA is only for going for high level consulting and engineering type jobs.

Your main concern the way I see it is the gaps in employment. If you don't have any, you should be good to go.