Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Default PLO/8 AA2x From the blinds

Villan here was a fairly loose player, noticed he plays to non nut draws and is aggressive flopping a nut low draw and a pair. Should i have raised preflop here? Was i ok calling the flop re-raise?

Thanks in advance.

Stats - VPIP - 42% PFR 12% Aggression 9.5/4.5/6.5

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $27.40
UTG+1: $9.95
MP1: $17.25
MP2: $44.25
MP3: $49.55
CO: $50
Button: $37.35
SB: $28.30
Hero: $50

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 4 folds, CO (poster) checks, 2 folds, 2 folds, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.75, 3 players)
Hero bets $1.25</font>, UTG raises to $5.5</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($12.75, 2 players)
[Hero bets $12.75</font>, UTG raises all-in $21.4</font>, Hero ???
Old 03-15-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: PLO/8 AA2x From the blinds

I don't play a lot of PL, so am not offering advice - but I pot it PF &amp; again on the flop.

Considering where CO entered the hand, and then his action postflop I would have figured him for A2 with a str8 draw that he may have hit on the Turn.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:10 PM

I would certainly raise preflop. Did you not do so because you hate being OOP, or because you wanted to disguise the strength of your hand? The second reason is usually a bad one in PLO8, I think.
Against most opponents I would 3-bet this flop. There are only a few hands that you're really a significant dog to.
Turn is a call, but a painful one. Against a made straight (8TJQ) you have 33% pot equity, against a set 28% or so - in any case, the pot is laying you correct odds unless opponent has A299 or something like that.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the responses - I raised because (at the time it seemed a good idea) to disguise my hand a bit. I thought a big raise OOP was a bit of a giveaway, but maybe im better just value betting these type of hands?
I didnt consider a 3 bet on the flop, but with the AA overpair and the backdoor flush and the low draw, maybe it was the best way to go, would have stopped me cringing at calling that all in re-raise on the turn anyway.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 PM

I think someone with a pfr% of 12 would likely have raised any A2xx hand from the CO. I would consider it unlikely for villain to have A2-anything here.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 PM

I'd have raised pf but the turn is an easy call for me. You have a good number of outs, to the nuts, both for hi and lo and, what is more, for both.

sometimes you'll lose but I think here you must have enough pot equity to call, unless as someone says villain has a299 or a2TT but this is such a low probability it's not worth considering in your decision.

let's look at this further
any 3,5,6,8 (16 cards) wins you the lo or at least 50% of it
any ace has a good chance of winning you the hi but may lose you the lo
any club (apart from possibly 9 or 7) wins you the hi and scoops if it's the Q or K, maybe the 9 also
it's even just possible a Jack may scoop it for you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought a big raise OOP was a bit of a giveaway, but maybe im better just value betting these type of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

The concept of disguising your hand is a valid one, however, there are other ways to disguise monster hands, such as occasionally raising playable, non-monsters, and even occasionally raising double-suited-barely-playable trash.

If you look at the high-v-low components of your hand, you should be able to see that AAxx will always play much better short-handed and it becomes a dog four way, and it is worth your while to charge the limpers the maximum here. If you had raised pre-flop, you might have the money in the middle to justify the runner-runner draws, or else you'd certainly have a much better chance of having the AA hold up.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:35 PM

preflop this is a raise every single time.. simply for value.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop this is a raise every single time.. simply for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn call of the reraise is correct

If you had raised preflop and gotten this flop, be willing and happy to get it all in.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Advice in other posts is fine.

Pot prefop. Consider re-potting flop. Call turn. You've got nut draws and draws to big hands up down, and sideways. You have substantial scoop outs.