Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Re: State of Greektown\'s 2/2/5 NL game

Thanks, this is helpful. I'm mainly thinking Greektown just because of familiarity, but maybe I will consider going to Motor City. Can you call ahead to get on the list there?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:51 PM

yes....they keep you on list for one hour. tell them all the table you would like to play, that way you shouldnt have to wait too long, start on one and your name is good on the rest...make sure to check in when you get there...
Old 03-17-2006, 08:07 PM

Add me to the list of complainers.

I never thought I would rather play online than live, but that is what it has come to for me. You will find me at home sipping a drink and clearing internet bonuses.

Is this Justin of the old gremlin card protector? If so you may remember me from my beginnings in the 5/10 game. Back when there was one.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:28 PM

So it sounds like Greektown is not worth it if I want to play 5/10 limit. Will Motor City have this limit going most of the time, maybe two full tables worth?

Thinking about going tomorrow morning. Thx.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is this Justin of the old gremlin card protector? If so you may remember me from my beginnings in the 5/10 game. Back when there was one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am he. I sold that gremlin to the mother of this exceptionally fine chick who used to play $5-$10 regularly. She doesnt play much anymore. Her mom offered me $50 for it and I was broke and needed the cash. Before I sold it, I put a small webcam in it hoping to see the chick naked and broadcast it unbeknowingist to her and use the funds to replenish my bankroll, however, she was always one step ahead of me and keeps the doll in her drawer in complete darkness.

Back to MC limit games:

Motor City runs $5-$10 regularly, but the rake is so high and they have this trick where they keep two short handed games and wont combine them unless you ask. So you'll be sitting on a 6 handed game paying $6+$1 b.b. per hand. If you ask to reduce the rake they will go to $4 and no bad beat. Most players dont want to lose the bad beat and will continue to pay $6+$1 b.b. when playing 6-7 handed.

I'm not even sure the motor city $5-$10 is beatable. The players sometimes are so loose and passive you have to alter strategy. Playing straight forward tight-aggressive hold'em will make you frustrated as you will have the best hand alot until the last card. While playing very few hands and playing them aggressively is the proper strategy given the high rake, but depending on how poor the players are sometimes you are better off playing sneaky and limping in with a lot of hands, trying to trap all the bad players later on in the hand when you have the nuts. This results in the playing of a lot more hands, which results in paying more rake. It is a trade-off. Either way you wont win much. Depending on the "complexion" of the game I switch back and forth between a very tight aggressive "book style" of value betting and protecting my hands and a very non-traditional style of limping in with all kinds of hands out of position trying to outplay everybody after the flop, snapping bluffs with weak hands, trapping people with hidden full houses, etc. You need more focus to play this way as your hands will be in jeapordy alot and you need to be able to make good reads and good lay-downs. If you are not good enough you will end up trapping yourself. The whole idea of this strategy rests on your ability to get away from your hand when things go sour or might go sour.

Here's an example from yesterday's donkfest: 6 players limp in and I am in late position with AJ offsuit. I call and the blinds check. The flop comes A66 rainbow. An early position bets and I FOLD. With all those players in, it is not worth going to the showdown with this hand not only because someone may have a 6, but someone may have me outkicked and even if they down a K or Q will make a chop and a 7,8,9, or T may give someone a better two pair. Had there been a pre-flop raise or if I had had AK, I may have had to stay, but in this loose donk fest you have to play more defensively.

Somebody did have the trips, but that's not really the point. You dont want to get overinvolved with marginal hands in multiway pots. That is the key to playing with idiots. I know so many good players who end up losing their mind playing in loose low limit games because they try to play straight forward hold-em and end up getting screwed all the time. Dont let a host of bad players make you lose your cool.

good luck

-J

-J
Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 PM

I was there a couple of weeks ago and the 2/2/5 game was going strong. You have gotta love schmucks sitting down at that game with $100 and just rebuying the minimum every time they bust out.

However, I can agree with pretty much every negative thing other posters have said thus far. But let me add: Having to pay the $6 time charge out of a $100 max buy in on the 1/2 table sucks ass. I mean, 6% of your stack off the table forever. They should let you pay the time charge out of your pocket. Also, they won't let you rebuy until you bust out. All in for 100$ and a $90 stack calls and wins? To Bad, you get to play with $10 in front of you or give it to the dealer as a tip if you want to rebuy. I gave the dealer $3 once and $4 another time just so I could rebuy for the $100. There was no way I wanted to be sitting there with 3-4$ and catch a hand.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:43 PM

I'm a semi-regular player at motor city and I switched to Greektown for about a week to get a feel for the place before playing in one of their 100+25 tournys (actually took 4th in it despite the bad structure).

Yet another reason to hate greektown 50-100NL you cant rebuy until your felted they take this as far as not letting you tip the remaining money in your stack to the dealer to buy back in. Very frustrating when your sitting at 20 or 30 bucks. Greektowns game is easier than motor city but I have a good feel for the regs at motor city and have made alot of money playing 50-200 there.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 AM

I think the reason that Greektown only spreads NLHE is because that's what people want to play. If there is the demand, they will spread any game, just about. The issue is the lack of demand.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the reason that Greektown only spreads NLHE is because that's what people want to play. If there is the demand, they will spread any game, just about. The issue is the lack of demand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. If this were the case there wouldn't be so many home games full of past regulars playing 20-40 thru 40-80.
The demand is there, always has been, always will be. The game selection could be fantastic, but Motor City stole the 10-20 and once or twice a week gets a 15/30 going. At a $6 rake plus $1 for the bad beat Jackpot, they can kiss my ass also. The NL at MC now has 5-10 blinds, so it's more worthwhile to me. I play all limits and all type games spread, so my issue isn't in finding a game, it's in the lack of game selection, and game expenses. The internet and home games have taken many regulars away. Trust me, I know them all and their reasons for leaving. I used to play GT and MC 5-6 days per week, until they screwed their rooms up beyond repair. Now it's maybe once a week. The Internet is the best way to go for me, although I much prefer live play.

The reason is as simple as the time charge they are getting from the NL games. $8 a 1/2 hour, and no concern about their slow ass dealers.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this were the case there wouldn't be so many home games full of past regulars playing 20-40 thru 40-80.
The demand is there, always has been, always will be.

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree. The demand is not there to spread the game *regularly* which is the issue. If you called the poker room and asked them to save a table and had enough players to fill it, they would spread the game. I asked and that's what they told me.