Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Default WSOP satellite

The local Harrah's was running a "Winner's Circle" promotion last month where every tournament had an additional $5 rake for all players and top 3 finishers in all tournaments would get a chance to play for a WSOP seat. 2nd was $2K and the falloff from there was pretty dramatic.

Format was pretty much a donkament. Blinds started at 25/50 with 1500 chips, but moved up every 15 minutes and many of the increases were doubles. The only viable strategy I have found is to play aggressive early and then slow down after the first break when many people are instantly short-stacked and try to pick off weak all-ins.

I made it past the first break at ~4K chips, but couldn't make much of a move from there. I found myself with only 3 tables left at ~5K chips (which would have been the average with 30 players left, there were a couple more than that gone, so I was modestly below average). Blinds were 300/600. I have just been moved to a new table and have only seen about 4 hands.

Early position player limps. SB completes and I look down at AKs. I haven't seen anything from either player yet. Both players have me covered, but neither has more than ~8K-9K. Do I raise to 2000 or do I push here? (400-800 blinds are 5-10 min away.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: WSOP satellite

Easy Push
Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM

That's what I did. I sometimes wonder after the fact if I've been too reckless with my tournament life.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:15 PM

I say : easy push. You might win the limpers chips preflop. If not, you have a solid hand (AK) to playout.

Also, with the tournament structure (e.g. the quick and sharp blind increases) pushing seems like the best option.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy Push

[/ QUOTE ]