Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Heads Up Practice

Would anyone be intersted in some regular headsup practice (not for cash).

If a few people got involved we may be able to got some good fast games and training going, as well as to test out various ideas.

What we would need is a platform that offers free heads up games for play money. It wouldnt necessarily have to be a recognized site, but could even be an open source program that sits on your computer or web applet etc.

Let me know what you think.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Heads Up Practice

Its not a bad idea, but I wouldnt take it seriously if it wasnt for money. Even if we just did $5 or $10 HUSNGs, that'd be okay. The problem is registration. There are so many people trying to register at those levels that it becomes hard to register with a specific player.

If you can think of a practical way to do this, I'd listen.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:40 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/

They offer a good amount of play money games, including heads up play.

I think it's a good idea. Like you said even though it is for play money, it might be decent practice. I'd be willing to play you there if there was a set time.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:44 PM

UB has a waiting list facility, you can either add yourself to it and play first come (as normal) or challenge a specific player. They do $5 and up HU (no HU play money).

I'd be interested, but am in UK so might be difficult timing wise.

Cheers,
RH
Old 10-22-2006, 01:43 PM

I'm in for play money.

And why can't you guys take it serious with PM, when you can take a post here serious? I don't see the big difference, you do both for training...?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in for play money.

And why can't you guys take it serious with PM, when you can take a post here serious? I don't see the big difference, you do both for training...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I could, but most people have a mental switch in their brain which does something like this: "...it's only play money, f**k it, I'll play this crappy hand all the way...". Doesn't matter if the money is not significant to them, it drastically dims the switch.

Also it's more difficult to find a site with play money HU SnGs where you can guarentee to play a particular opponent.

RH
Old 10-22-2006, 04:23 PM

It's pretty much a guarantee on the ESPN Poker software. If anyone is interested I would play them there for practice.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in for play money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I could, but most people have a mental switch in their brain which does something like this: "...it's only play money, f**k it, I'll play this crappy hand all the way...". Doesn't matter if the money is not significant to them, it drastically dims the switch.

Also it's more difficult to find a site with play money HU SnGs where you can guarentee to play a particular opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about if somebody ran a "ladder" system like used for online gaming. This way, even though the games are for play money, then their is still an incentive to play properly and take it more seriously?

You could even have a few ladders (eg: deepstack play, shortstack play, etc), but I guess this relies on finding some software to run the games on where you can set parameters like this.

As far as software goes then I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has already written some simple freeware app that could be used/adapted for this purpose. If not, it really wouldn't be hard to code up some fairly simple Java app to do this.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2006, 06:14 PM

Never heard about a ladder system, but do you mean like a tournament? Because that would be great IMO, then we could play for being the best in the HU forum [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty much a guarantee on the ESPN Poker software. If anyone is interested I would play them there for practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested, but not sure if we'll be able to schedule. I'm in the UK and play late evenings only, say 21:00-00:00 GMT (about 5 hours ahead of EST I think so that'd make it 16:00-19:00 EST). Are you (or anyone else interested in HU practice) playing at this time of day? If so please PM me.

Cheers,
RH