Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 06-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: National City closing my account due to online gaming

no kidding.

Not really the bank's fault.
If they happen to stumble on online-gambling transactions they aren't supposed to accept it. They don't have to go out of their way looking for it as I understand it.

Some banks will be more paranoid about this than others but they don't want to get Fristed like all the online-poker players did.
Yeah, it's ridiculous.
But I blame the govt far more for this than I do the banks who are only trying to do what they think the govt is telling them to do.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 PM

As far as I know though, the banks aren't supposed to send money to online gambling businesses. I don't believe that there is anything covered by UIGEA regarding an individuals receiving of funds from such businesses.

Welcome to the new RedScare/McCarthy-ism, with rampant over-zealousness at it's best.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 PM

I am pretty sure if that is the only case they are closing your account you would have a good case in court, you should contact an attourney right away and give him all the facts and see what he thinks, especially if you pay taxes than it is all legal income, you can sue the hell out of the bank for breach of contract at least, maybe there is grounds for discrimination lawsuite as well
Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 PM

i haven't heard the final word, but i just tried to withdraw to my bank of america account from epassporte... have done it several times without problem, but this time i got a "trouble connecting with your bank" or some such error message. will let you know when i hear more.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i haven't heard the final word, but i just tried to withdraw to my bank of america account from epassporte... have done it several times without problem, but this time i got a "trouble connecting with your bank" or some such error message. will let you know when i hear more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the epass thread. epass been having tech difficulties lately resulting in these error messages
Old 06-02-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure if that is the only case they are closing your account you would have a good case in court, you should contact an attourney right away and give him all the facts and see what he thinks, especially if you pay taxes than it is all legal income, you can sue the hell out of the bank for breach of contract at least, maybe there is grounds for discrimination lawsuite as well

[/ QUOTE ]

Legal income and paying taxes on it doesn't matter. If they have it in there terms and conditions for haven an account there.

Everyone agrees to the terms and conditions for everything.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What damages would you sue them for? As long as they give you the money, seems like all terms have been met. It's not like having the bank account is a civil right.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:56 AM

Causing a big stink about it with the bank is probably the worst thing to do. It will make the people involved at the bank more likely to look for other accounts with that type of activity.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 AM

Meh. I'm not sure the bank has the right to know what the money is from, but I'm more sure you shouldn't be saying "games on the internet that my country is being stupid about and most banks don't want to be associated with", especially if they have terms and conditions about this.
That said I close all of my accounts thru that bank and if they ask why I tell them "because you are asshats".
Old 06-02-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh. I'm not sure the bank has the right to know what the money is from, but I'm more sure you shouldn't be saying "games on the internet that my country is being stupid about and most banks don't want to be associated with", especially if they have terms and conditions about this.
That said I close all of my accounts thru that bank and if they ask why I tell them "because you are asshats".

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do they have a right to know, they pretty much are required to know and to look into certain kinds of transactions. Two $8K transfers--each just under the level where they are required to file a report--from an unknown source, spaced closely together likely flipped the triggers that IDd potential transaction structuring. That's a common money laundering tactic designed to help evade required scrutiny and banks have systems in place to catch such things. That's probably what generated the first call.

NatCity might actually have a clear policy regarding transactions with gambling sites and it may or may not be enforced consistently. Or they may have a more vague policy that some officers are interpreting to ban transactions with gambling sites. Banks are basically just making stuff up now, since the actual rules haven't been published yet, so you're going to get a wide variation in what's allowed or not allowed and how it's enforced.