Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 06:25 PM

Default what \"asian\" means to you

i was at my cardroom late at night last weekend and i sit on a 8/16 game waiting for another game. my seat is next to a middle aged, white guy, regular who sees in there a lot. we chat a little, nothing out of the ordinary. i start goofing off, splash some chips around a start jokingly calling myself, "CRAZIAN!" (crazy+asian, ldo). hes played with me before and knows i'm not the normal Lagtard asian. his response is, "you're not asian, all i see a MN whiteboy."

This is not the first time i've got this and won't be the last time. i laughed it off, but it used to brother me in the past. now that i'm older (3o but i don't look like it) i realize that others' views of me is based on thier own perceptions and beliefs on what an asian guy should look/ act like.

I know i'm american and i'm glad i live in the US because it have given me many oppertunities that my home land could never. in my heart i'm asian (i was born in cambodia btw). i love asian food, try to cook asian food, take off my shoes, get pissed when others don't take of thier shoes, speak cambodian (not fluent) and know a little bit of various other asian languages, traveled to korea/taiwan/ cambodia/singapore/japan.

an example my whiteboyness: a while ago i was seeing this asian girl and we were eating tofu and she asked me, "do you know what tofu is?" wtf, i'm such i white boy i don't know what tofu is?!? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] i love tufo btw?

I know most the the people in this forum are white, so i ask you what would make you think an asian guy is "white washed?" how is an "asian" guy supposed to act like?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: what \"asian\" means to you

1. only speak your native language. if you are going to speak english, make it broken.

2. since you are khmer, learn kick boxing.

that is a start
Old 09-11-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. only speak your native language. if you are going to speak engrish, make it broken.

2. since you are khmer, learn kick boxing.

that is a start

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 PM

I don't know but I've been on the receiving end of comments akin to the dude's "MN whiteboy" comment (I'm a NYer born and bred, Japanese by blood) which prompted me to scream "Imma cutchoo!!" and whip out my katana. But seriously, I didn't know how I should react to it. I wasn't offended, but mainly because I didn't actually know what they meant by their statement, and I wasn't about to start a whole big discussion on the issue so I ended up reacting as you did, just laughing it off. So yeah, good question. I'm curious as to how others will reply.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 PM

I suggest you try to be a human being. I don't try to be white, why should you try to be asian?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Only hot women who will have sex with me.

(Note: must live in Asia.)
Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Cambodian? You should definitely be laggy. What happened to you [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Were you raised by wolves?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 PM

My only thought on this thread is that I'm way more asian than my asian friends kyleb and GoT because I know more about the cuisine of their culture than they do. The only thing Asian about them is their affection for dice.

To be serious:

I think your avg stereotype of an Asian differs a ton between gambling culture (crazy degen lag) and the rest of US culture (quiet smart, math, may own corner market).
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you try to be a human being. I don't try to be white, why should you try to be asian?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm not trying to be asian, i'm just me? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] what i was asking is, what white people think asians should be/ act like.

kick boxing (Muay Thai) is thai not khmer btw.

edit: my family doesn't own a restuarant or corner market
Old 09-11-2007, 06:45 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pradal_Serey