Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 AM

Default HUSNG: Finishing off the opponent

Wondering what everyone uses as guidelines late in a game when opponent has 500 or less (approx.) in a 1500 starting size game.

I did hear its optimal to go all in every hand at some point, not really sure on the exact theory, but I'm guessing the poker at this level is pretty much black and white...

Also, is it optimal to check-raise basically all the time in these situations (with draws, top pair, mid pair, low pair, etc)? I suppose I see it a lot, and somewhat understand it.

---

The reason I ask is that I perceive this part of my game as a weakness. I've struggled a couple of times to finish someone off, and its come back to bite me in the you-know-what... Perhaps its just a coincidental stretch, I'm not sure (having playing HUSNG for not too long)...
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: HUSNG: Finishing off the opponent

Depends on the big blind. If the big blind is still 20 (or 30) then dont go too crazy. If they have close to 10 big blinds or less then you should just push or fold for the most part. The 10-15 BB region is tricky, I'll sometimes limp or minraise hands at this portion but I'm really not sure what the best strategy here is.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 AM

Doesn't really matter that the opponent has 500 chips or 1000 or 200. What matters is how much it is in relation to the BB. That determines how you play. The effective stack could have 500 chips, but have either 10, 5, or any number of BB depending on what level the blinds are at. Go into push/fold mode at 12BB or less. Study SAGE which is linked in the sticky. 14 to 20 bb's is tricky and takes experience of min-raising and stuff, but ChicagoRy did a great article on how to play at the 25/50 blind level which is where you will often encounter these chip stacks. Hope this made sense.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM

When it comes to those situtations, I play cautious. It's happen to me one too many times, where I try to bully and it back fires. I always double the blinds because my opp. can push at any time and the last thing I want to do, is double his stack. I hope to trap him with a strong hand because they'll push with any pair on the board - hoping to double up.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When it comes to those situtations, I play cautious. It's happen to me one too many times, where I try to bully and it back fires. I always double the blinds because my opp. can push at any time and the last thing I want to do, is double his stack. I hope to trap him with a strong hand because they'll push with any pair on the board - hoping to double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you don't get strong hands? It is one of the toughest situations for me when I go card dead when aggressive villain is shortstacked, I don't want to double him up, so he steals a lot from me and comes back into the match.