Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Poker & Your Girlfriend

I heard Brian Townsend let his girlfriend because she didn't allow him to play poker. I look on that this way: if she doesn't like that you play poker, she doesn't respect you because poker is a part of your personality. This is your life and she has to accept it like you accept that she likes dancing, aerobic, whatever. If this is your job, then she has to respect that like you respect her job. Otherwise, she doesn't deserve you.

Also, she talks about her job with you, probably, so you should talk about poker with her too. It is normal. Poker is part of your life and she has to accept that.

I don't know why this is such a problem.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:26 PM

Can I say that some of us are "Pot- Committed" to our Girlfriends/wives either becuse of kids or financial ties.

But need to let off steam here about how our SO just does not get poker, and realize that it can be profitable - OK it may be that I could make more money in other ways of working other than poker, but I doubt if I would enjoy or feel as free as I do playing poker.

I wonder if some women just don't value money you earn at poker as much as they would money you earned at some dull job.

e.g This summer I was marking exam papers at effectively about the same rate of earn I get for Poker (and in poker there was the outside chance of a big win in a MTT) and while my GF was happy to put up with various inconveniences and time commitments while I marked the exam papers, she would often give me grief about playing too much poker.

OK there is less variance in Exam marking ;-) but I doubt it was that which needled her.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 PM

Just talk about it with them about it. Thats what I did with the guy I'm dating atm. Why would you ever date someone who doesn't love you for who you are?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:39 AM

Because they're good looking?

...Not a new concept..
Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 AM

i'm sure its already been mentioned, but people since most people care about their status in society it makes sense that girls would want to date someone with a baller job i.e. not an online poker player. In my experience, girls like to have something to tell their friends about you, so give them something, anything, besides poker to talk about. Get a really part time job that you enjoy, or buy some stock or something. It won't hurt to do something besides poker.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:36 AM

My bf says I'm an 'addict' and that he wishes I would do 'anything else' besides play poker all the time.
I oughta start taking tuba lessons and practice every night when he gets home from work! *lol*