Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Getting the biggest discounts at grocery store gas stations

I've been filling up my gas at Safeway gas stations occasionally. They generally have pretty competitive prices, and they offer discounts to 'club' members. I would always look around at other peoples' pumps to see what kind of discount they were getting. I woudl get like 3 cents, they were getting 6-10 cent discounts per gallon. WTF.

It was pretty obvious they were basing the discount on how much you spent at the grocery store in the previous week/month/decade, but I am 25 and we don't cook very much. I had to figure something out to get a better discount.

I'm at the pump one day and have a realization--there are many people who don't want grocery stores monitoring their buying habits. These people still want their grocery discounts for being a member, so they sign up under a fake phone number.

I go to the pump, and enter 425-555-1212 as my phone number.

"You have qualified for a $.12/gallon discount today"

VICTORY. I had never seen any of the pumps that I spied on give that big of discount. I'm not sure how many people use that number, but it is obviously a popular one. I'm going to try out different numbers over the next couple months. 425-123-4567, 425-555-1234, etc. I'm also going to try these out at a local chain that offers total-bill discounts if you've bought a certain amount in the previous month. So if you buy more than $500 worth of groceries in October you have a 20% off coupon you can use in November. I hope to get lucky and find one of these accounts with an unused discount.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Getting the biggest discounts at grocery store gas stations

If this is true, let's just have one 2+2 phone number for all stores. That way we'll get mega-discounts as the highest spender at each place.

I'm half kidding, half contemplating this.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:42 PM

Kroger gives a 3 cent per gallon discount with their membership card. 10 cents after you spend $100 in a month on groceries. It was sweet in Sept and Oct when my store was giving double credit for there "Grand Reopening"(remodeling).

Who cares if the track your shopping habits? They're not going to learn anything you wouldnt want them to know. Unless you buy nothing but cucumbers and vaseline.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 PM

i think with safeway, you only get the discount once and then it resets. could be wrong though.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM

I use my friends mom's phone number for my Kroger card because she works at one. Sweet 10% discount on Kroger brand items! Too bad she probably gets all kinds of free stuff because of it.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 PM

safeway doesnt have gas stations in AZ that ive seen.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 PM

a gas station in pittsburgh teams up with a local grocery store, you get $10c off per gallon for every $50 you spend in store

just mentioning this because the rate seems slightly better than what has been shown so far
Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think with safeway, you only get the discount once and then it resets. could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah but if ( people using # and spending > 50) is > (# of people using discount at pump) you still score.

I typically use an old phone # which someone else now has a club card for but lives in a place that doesn't have a safeway gas station. So i get my discounts and theirs.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 PM

This seems profitable and somehow not as bad as outright stealing. I'm going to try it ASAP.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Who cares if the track your shopping habits? They're not going to learn anything you wouldnt want them to know. Unless you buy nothing but cucumbers and vaseline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I give it like 5 more posts before someone says something about the government watching you.