Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: For Dissection....2008 Red Sox Roster........

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the Ortiz at 1B, Manny at DH, Youk at 3rd, Ellsbury/Crisp/Drew OF that Silver threw out today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot too. Papi in his few short stints at 1B has never embarrassed himself. The big problem here though is health. He barely made it through this season with his bad knees just dh-ing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing applies with Manny, though. Papi sucking up the DH just for him has hurt Manny.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hinske can play any of the corners, but i wouldn't count on him being around. cora can play 3B in a pinch.

[/ QUOTE ]

With Arod, Lowell, youk, and pedroia in the infield, BOS could probably take some of the prospects they get for Lugo and turn one into a corner infielder as a backup. Plus, we could probably pick up quite a bit by getting rid of manny. Whoever we get for him could bat behind Youk who, with his base clogging ways, will be hitting 7th.

craig
Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM

It's a good thing they won't get any prospects for Lugo.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And once again, I would remind you that I am NOT advocating that this is what I would do if I were King of the Red Sox……I am saying that it is not unreasonable that it could go this way, given the craziness in today’s market and the specific current conditions (Yanks, Sox, Boras et al).

[/ QUOTE ]

What current conditions? If anything, at least for 08, BOS will not need to win as many games as this year to win the division. The changes you are suggesting make BOS the same or not as good of a team than they are now, but for more money. Plus they will be hurting their future for years to come.

It's one thing to argue that Arod will be a plus for BOS (as there is validity to that), but putting him back at SS, getting rid of lugo and manny, even if that means eating their salary, resigning lowell, schilling as a 5th starter, and Youk batting 7th with his OBP because Ellsbury had a great 116 bats and Pedroia is ROTY is nothing short of either leveling or honestly not thinking through this.

craig
Old 10-31-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a good thing they won't get any prospects for Lugo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine! Then dump Lugo, cover his salary, and get Eckstein for SS. Whatever it takes to make a great team worse, I am all for it.

craig
Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how competent these guys are at playing 3B. I may be overestimating the change from SS/2B to 3B.

[/ QUOTE ]

3B is easier than 2B or SS to play, but arm strength would be a consideration.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was my point that I decided not to make. Is Cora's arm strong enough? Consensus seems to be yes.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:04 PM

craig, you think he's serious? I don't think anyone could be serious with that.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

We just won a WS by being patient with our youth movement, bringing along our own draft picks and focusing on pitching. Now you want to immediately go out and spend a third of a [censored] billion dollars on overpriced veteran hitters?

Seriously, give up your season tickets, move to the [censored] Bronx and see if the Steinbrenners will let you sit in their box. You'd fit right in. Thank god Theo and the rest of the FO don't think the way you do, or we'd probably still have Pedro instead of Buchholz, Cabrera instead of Ellsbury, and Johnny Damon limping around the outfield.

[/ QUOTE ]

WE just won a WS? Sorry, I didn't know you were an employee or team member of the Red Sox.

Seriously, why don't you take your insults and stick them where the sun doesn't shine.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:21 PM

oh look, not only do you not know anything about baseball, you can't use the quote function either. go back to politics plz
Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM

I am going to go on the record and say I pray to god Lugo is back next year, he played awesome in the playoffs and was downright great on D in the postseason. I would be a happy guy if the IF stayed the exact same. Moving a GG caliber 1b in Youk to 3b is a disaster waiting to happen, he proved he isn't as good on D at 3b, granted his O fits better as a 3rd baseman but I still hate it. Also, for obvious reasons, keeping Papi off the field is huge for our long term success.