Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Talking about 2+2 at the table.

Somewhat inadvertently, while trying to make pleasant conversation with a good regular at a live poker game the other day who happened to be sitting next to me, I mentioned the 2+2 web site as a great resourse for studying poker. Most of the players didn't notice or care. But a few chimed in and obviously outted themselves as either lurkers or posters at 2+2. And I obviously outted myself as well.

As long as nobody runs around handing out 2+2 fliers to the recreational players who don't study much, is it +EV or -EV to (1) let the regulars who are also 2+2'ers know that you post at 2+2, and (2) as a result, usually find out who else is a 2+2er at the tables.

These live games usually have about 50% regulars. Of those, about half of those regulars (about 25% of the game) are pretty solid most of the time, and few are 2+2ers but I never thought about whether it was worth figuring out which ones they were.

Sup Bro, anyone?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Talking about 2+2 at the table.

Loose lips, sink ships.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:38 PM

I can usually tell with a pretty good certainty which players in a game read books/2+2/etc and which don't in about half an hour at the worst.

At that point I assume they are 2+2 posters/lurkers until proven otherwise.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:00 PM

This topic has come up a few times in the other forums with respect to online play. Lots of people have argued both sides.

My personal opinion is that it makes almost no difference to mention 2+2 at the table. Those that want to be good at poker and are capable of putting in the time and study necessary either have already found 2+2 or will find it on their own even if you never mention it. Those without the dedication to get good will not do it whether they are aware of 2+2 or not.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:58 PM

I think it's a mistake to assume everyone on 2+2 is a good player. Yes, this is a great site with lots of great players, but many many people come here and don't understand the concepts and/or don't want to follow them. Just cuz someone says they are "2+2" doesn't mean anything unless their play backs it up.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 AM

I wouldn't want them to know I study/read 2+2... Thats just inviting them to play back at you...

Seriously though, the NL/HE advice on this forum has really declined the past couple years. This isn't the good site it used to be anymore.

In fact, i don't even use this site for advice anymore. I simply use it as a method of reading various amounts of hand histories from players, and figuring out teh correct play for MYSELF.

The hands people post are great, and thought inspiring. But the advice the forum gives, is downright lame...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 PM

Like others, I don't think mention of 2+2 is giving away family secrets. As an example, I primarily lurk here, with only minimal posts. I try to follow the strategy posts and have read some books, but for me, poker is a hobby, not a lifestyle or profession. As Clint Eastwood said, a man's got's to know his limitations - most people lack the dedication, inclination, and patience to really improve their games, even if they're staring the tools in the face.

The biggest risk of people learning of 2+2 is not that they'll improve their game. Rather, after visiting here, the fish may learn how little they actually know, and see the disdain with which they are viewed by hard-core players, and be tempted to take up checkers instead of poker.

Cheers, Carl.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't want them to know I study/read 2+2... Thats just inviting them to play back at you...

[/ QUOTE ]

why is this bad, unless you are weak tight?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why is this bad, unless you are weak tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely not weak/tight, but most of the advice and players here are nitty.

Whenever i am playing with someone who i know is a 2+2'er, i'll bluff them more often than i normally would have, simply because i know they can lay down a hand.

It doesn't matter what kind of player you are (weak/tight etc..), there are MANY situations in poker where you have to make the correct fold. I capitalize on this when i am playing against 2+2er's (since they are well aware of these situations) and I wouldnt want them doing the same to me.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

I seriously doubt mentioning 2+2 will make the game more difficult, but I know it's not going to help anything, so I keep my mouth shut.