Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 10:05 PM

Default FREE Graphic Design

I am trying to build my graphic design portfolio and am offering free graphic design services. If you have a business or website and could use logos, business cards or other image needs I am willing to volunteer the work.

I am a recent graduate of Ball State University, where I took a few classes in Graphic Design and Digital Media. Unfortunately, I neglected to save my work for a portfolio. I am now interested in starting to freelance, but it is very difficult to get work without a strong portfolio. I recently designed the cover of Collin Moshman's Sit 'n Go Strategy book. Here you can view my weak but growing portfolio: Link

I don't have a lot of free time, so I will probably only be able to take one or two projects at a time. If you are interested, post any info about the business, sketches, ideas, or useful information below. I don't have a problem doing as many revisions as it takes to get the desired image.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: FREE Graphic Design

PM SENT. I CALL DIBS ON FREE LABOR.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 PM

First.

er. second!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 PM

lol quick responses. jedi, gugel, and the4aces are up first. Will post again when ready to take on more.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 PM

i was going to make a post making fun of you, but thought i'd actually give some advice. not sure what's wrong with me today.

let me make some suggestions. it will be very difficult for you to be a successful designer without real agency/in house experience. freelance is a tough business, and a very strong portfolio, and who you know is everything.

i also realize it will be hard to get into a place without a strong portfolio. college teaches the basics, but you will learn so much more from working with experienced designers. there's way more to design then making a pretty picture.

if you didn't get a graphic design or visual communication degree, or something similar, you should look to intern. you will learn a lot interning.

to get the internship, you will need a portfolio. yes, real printed pieces and live sites are preferred, but not completely necessary. so, create a portfolio. design things you like to design, and treat them like real life projects. they dont' necessarily have to go to print or go live. find a company that has crappy branding, and completely rebrand them. do a variety of projects, web site, ads, brochures, packaging, etc.

i'd suggest 8-12 pieces for your portfolio. make them as clean as possible. less is more. work on your typography. that was one of the first things i looked at when i looked at people's pieces. the most overlooked aspect of design, with new designers.

don't make something pretty or cool, just because you can make something pretty or cool. brainstorm and conceptualize what you're doing. if you can't tell an art director or creative director why you did something, then it doesn't look good in an interview. they will want to know how you came to a finished idea.

join the local AIGA chapter (American Institute of Graphic Artists) networking is huge when you're starting off.

intern for a while, you may get a job where you're interning. most likely as a production person. not glamorous, but helpful if you want to go off on your own eventually. then from there to designer, and so on and so forth.

hope this helps. good luck.

p.s. most people realize you get what you pay for, which is why offering free design may not be the right way to go.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:34 PM

oddjob,

Thank you for the response and I appreciate the advice. As a recent graduate I am considering different career options now. Getting an internship is something I would like to do. I realize that my knowledge and experience in this field is very limited. I figure the best thing I could do right now is practice and build my portfolio. I am offering to do live designs and real pieces because it gives me some extra motivation. I am learning the methods and importance of networking (I actually attended a networking workshop today). I will look into joining the AIGA. You seem very knowledgeable in this field. Would you mind sharing a little of your background? Once again I appreciate the advice.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 PM

if you have any questions, i can absolutely field them here, or through PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:36 AM

I could use a sweet logo for a website I have. PM for details.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:24 PM

PM sent.