Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Talking poker outside 2p2

How do you talk poker to people who arent very deep into it ?

Most of my friends / family know I play but know very few about the game, when they ask if I am up or down for the day, I never really know what to answer (I play 5/10 - 10/20 limit so I have decent swings for people outside of poker). So most of the time I got away with I am up 70$ or something that sounds very reasonable.

Also I am 21 (well will be in 2h !) so most of my friend dont have a lot of disposable income and for them 100$ is a lot of money so I kinda try to avoid those discussions but they are pretty curious about me playing poker. It usually doenst bother me but I told them I had a 2k downswing in a few days and I couldnt take the stupid answer they gave me, loosing 2k didnt put me on tilt but they did.

So how do deal with this ? Do you just hide it ? Do you just avoid it by saying "yeah I am up a few" no matter what ? Or do you try to explain them ?

Not really looking for a miracle answer, just to see how people deal with it.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Talking poker outside 2p2

I usually just say something like "sometimes I win, a large % of days I lose, in the long run, good players tend to win, today I lost 20k etc"
Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 PM

i just don't talk poker with people who don't have a deep understanding of it. people that don't get poker and try to talk poker with me usually end up not liking me.

as for the question, tell them that your results are within the expected range given your expected winrate and variance.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 PM

How do you mean "talk poker?"

Are you itchin' to talk about hands or talk about how to play hands? You probably need different kinds of friends then the ones you have currently.

Not to say get rid of the current ones of course.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 PM

im in a very similar situation OP...i found that there really is no way to talk about it...they know i play and they play sometimes but have no understanding of the game...just let them think you are lucky
Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 PM

never give figures, only relative amounts. e.g. "i've winning more than my share recently", etc.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you mean "talk poker?"

Are you itchin' to talk about hands or talk about how to play hands? You probably need different kinds of friends then the ones you have currently.

Not to say get rid of the current ones of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah I meant in general, when they start asking you "what did you do this weekend ? oh you played poker online ? how did it go ?"

yeah talking about specific hands is even worse.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:03 AM

wonder why people think it's okay to ask how much you win or lose, it's not like it's acceptable to ask how much my salary is a year.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:12 AM

You don't have anything to gain and plenty to lose by being forward with your finances to people that do not need to know. Especially when those people have a lot less money than you do. Anything from being pestered for loans or resented for your wealth to outright robbery is possible from the wrong people knowing about you having a lot of money.

So disclose as little as you can get away with. And just downplay your net worth in general. Talking about money is a bad habit anyway.

And don't talk about poker at all with people who aren't deeply into it. It will be boring for them and frustrating for you.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 AM

don't do it, it's seriously a waste of time