Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: A Compendium of Sklansky Fallacies

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was ridiculous of DS to write a list of the ten smartest people in history and then suggest that his father may deserve a place in it.

Such a list can only be valid if extreme intelligence inevitably leads to worldwide fame. Thus, DS's ambitious claim about his father throws the validity of the entire list into question.

Edit: the list would also be valid if extreme intelligence inevitably leads one either to worldwide fame, or to be known by DS. I reject this also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to read this a few times before I got it. You are saying that if I believe my father could be anywhere on this list, I can't simultaneously purport to really know who should be on it. Because there could easily be other non world famous people who deserved it that I would not have heard of.

Well DUH. Is this the best any of you can do? The probability algorithm, the Vietnam argument and this. All three statements were OBVIOUSLY not expected to be taken as gospel but rather just a throwing out some ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you are claiming victory in a thread where I have shown you to be a shameless liar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused again. Are you talking about the post I haven't even read yet?