Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Beat: I\'m addicted to Chew

I've been chewing since I was 18 and I worked at Dominos. I'm 22 now and go through a can a week. The 3-4 can a week people are the ones who need to worry IMHO.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been chewing since I was 18 and I worked at Dominos.

[/ QUOTE ]When I worked there they just paid me in cash.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WHAT THE HELL IS CHEW?

[/ QUOTE ]
I went through half the damn thread before I realised. Didn't think anyone had chewed tobacco in 100 years. Never seen anyone in the UK chewing it.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WHAT THE HELL IS CHEW?

[/ QUOTE ]
I went through half the damn thread before I realised. Didn't think anyone had chewed tobacco in 100 years. Never seen anyone in the UK chewing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it goes unnoticed by the media and most people, the statistics on teenage males trying/doing it are pretty insane, especially amongst athletes.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to dip regularly for about a year. Then one day out of nowhere it started making me sick. I have only dipped occasionally since then and each time it makes me feel like I am going to yack. I guess I got lucky, although there was nothing in the world better then getting back from class, turning on espn, and enjoying a nice fat dip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the exact same way, at one point two years ago I was at 3-4 tins a week. Started getting sick and stopped pretty much cold turkey for a few months. Unfortunately I was around other people that chewed and would have one here and there. Now I'm back chewing, onlya tin every two weeks, but I need to quit, just don't want to.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 PM

For the Europeans of BBV4L:

In the United States chew is primarily a "southern" thing. (Cigarette smoking is also a lot more common, and accepted in the south)

All the people I know who dip, with the exception of one or two, have been what most people would consider "good ol' boys" or "rednecks".

Chew is also very common among baseball players, not sure if it is more common among southern baseball players, but I know it is a pretty common thing.

My personal chew story. I tried chew once when I was extremely drunk. Someone offered me some, so I took a pinch (I'm guessing it was a huge pinch) and spat nasty [censored] for about 10 minutes.

The next day my gums were BURNING and felt disgusting. Never again will I chew!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Is it correct that quitting dipping is harder than cigs? I read somewhere that an average dip is like 2-3 cigs, so there is more nicotine each time you dip, and I'd expect most people who have been dipping for awhile pack pretty big lips (I myself go through a tin in 6 dips, and dip about 4 times a day). But it all might even out since hardcore smokers have many more cigs a day that dippers have dip.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the Europeans of BBV4L:

In the United States chew is primarily a "southern" thing. (Cigarette smoking is also a lot more common, and accepted in the south)

All the people I know who dip, with the exception of one or two, have been what most people would consider "good ol' boys" or "rednecks".

Chew is also very common among baseball players, not sure if it is more common among southern baseball players, but I know it is a pretty common thing.

My personal chew story. I tried chew once when I was extremely drunk. Someone offered me some, so I took a pinch (I'm guessing it was a huge pinch) and spat nasty [censored] for about 10 minutes.

The next day my gums were BURNING and felt disgusting. Never again will I chew!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its also very popular with football players/coaches, and is more prevalent in the Northeast than people realize. On my college team i'd estimate 35 percent of the players dipped, and many of the coaches. Also a surprising amount of non athletes that I hung out with dipped.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM

So honestly how long does it take to see serious damage. I don't even want to be half way close to having my lower jaw fall off. Anyone have any personal experience with friends or relatives who got mouth cancer or had serious damage from chewing. What about you guys who have been dipping for 10+ years 3-4 cans a week?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:06 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Is it correct that quitting dipping is harder than cigs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only known one person who has done both, and according to him, this is correct.

Probably one of the reasons that most non-US 2+2ers have never heard of dip is that it's banned in a whole lot of places--Australia and most of the EU outside of Scandinavia, for example.