Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM

Default 22$ - early KJ in BB hits toppair

Holla,

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP1 (t1815)
MP2 (t1635)
MP3 (t1410)
CO (t1365)
Button (t1515)
SB (t1320)
Hero (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1440)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t40, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t40, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t100</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t200</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t700) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t240</font>, Hero calls t240.

River: (t1180) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400.

Final Pot: t1980

Again a hand where I'm glad I don't play cash.
Raise flop and stop putting chips in from then on?
Fold river?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: 22$ - early KJ in BB hits toppair

lol yeah this spot kinda sucks. I think I might lead the flop 100 or so. On the flop, you get trapped into calling a bet, but since I guess u did get check raised min can you figure that you're behind? I definitely don't raise the flop after cr tho. Tiny bet on the turn looks really weird and he's probably trying to extract value from a set (I don't see him limping utg w/ a 2pair hand, MAYBE k5s. I think I just let it go on the turn not knowing if I am way behind. Looks like the only hand you're beating on the turn it KT. By the riv, the pot gets way too big with such a marginal hand, getting 4-1 its a tough fold tho it really looks like a set. I could be wrong obviously. I really try not to get involved in spots like this early.

On the flop, there's no draw utg can be juicing so looks like 2p which I guess you counterfeited on the riv. I fold the turn personally but since you called, I think you have to call the river now that you beat K5s.

Ugh, this is a dreadful hand.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM

thanks for you answer.
yeah, i thought i was behind after the checkraise, but i never thought about reraising the checkraiser.. when it got to me, there was only one bet in front.
i think if the pot was smaller/we had bigger stacks i would just raise the 100 bet up to 300 and give the hand up when called.
since i really thought i was behind, i had a bad feeling calling flopraise/turn/river, but i was just curious what he had, since villain is a regular(flopminraise is so strange).
got kinda expensive though, lol.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM

the check/call of the initial flop bet is better I think than cr the 100 bet.

Do you remember who it was against?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:45 PM

ginman8. he was at all my tables when i played this set.
never seen him before though and my sharkscopesearches are out for today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
the advantage of the flop CR to 300 is that i really know where i stand afterwards, but i think you're right and it's too costful in an sng where stack is gold.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 PM

avg stake $12, 2 ROI over 580 games. If you had that, you could probably take k5s/KT/KJ out of his possible utg limping hands and be able to lay it down on the flop vs a set.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:54 PM

you're right.

no wonder his roi is not bigger...
the way he bets is so freaking timid, i just HAD to find out wtf he was doing lol.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 AM

I call the flopminraise for pot odds reasons..although our outs are not many and some of them may not be clean. I definitely fold turn except you really wanted that information. He just seems too strong in this spot.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:37 AM

I think, I would have to let it go after that damn c/Minraise of UTG. The problem are not your odds, but the simple problem that no turn card will really make you lucky, even not a king or jack and playing that for stacks is so nasty, especially at this level where you will get a lot of edge a later.

So let it go, where you still have a nice stack. But make a note of UTG being very tricky (probably silly) and if MP3 gets it to showdown or to lay UTG the hand down, make a detailed note of this action.

BTW, of course, you couldn't lead out at this flop to clarify your situation thanks to the reverse implied odds and having not at least a backdoor flush, so check/calling is fine.

The idea of reraising the minraiser is not so bad as it sound, but better appropriate at the higher levels and with a read to villain, against average probably donk villain at 22s, it's just a waste.