Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Default 2 quick questions...

my brother and i were drunk, and betting on stupid, random props last night...

question #1: we had a bet on whether michigan would score on a possession. it went to 4th down, they punted, but the illinois guy muffed the punt, michigan recovered, and scored the next play.

ruling?

question #2: how horrible is it that i'm going to bet 3-4 units on the red sox tonight with the logic...if the tribe wins, [censored] the 3-4 units, my team's in the world series, if boston wins, i'm crushed, but up 2-3 units.

answers?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: 2 quick questions...

[ QUOTE ]
question #2: how horrible is it that i'm going to bet 3-4 units on the red sox tonight with the logic...if the tribe wins, [censored] the 3-4 units, my team's in the world series, if boston wins, i'm crushed, but up 2-3 units.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hedge like this all the time.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

question #1: we had a bet on whether michigan would score on a possession. it went to 4th down, they punted, but the illinois guy muffed the punt, michigan recovered, and scored the next play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the fumbled punt counted as a turnover, then the ensuing drive would be considered a separate possession. The team receiving the punt had possession (for some very short amount of time) and then the punting team regained possession. Would be the same as the case where somebody intercepted the ball, then fumbled it and the offense recovered it back.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 PM

1. Posession ended the moment the ball was kicked. I think I'd give the Michigan guy the win if they had actually scored on the kicking play though.

2. Don't see any problem with hedging your happiness
Old 10-21-2007, 02:43 PM

good. strangely enough, i told 3 people of my plan, and all 3 are following me..

how about question #1? did possession change? or does the muffed punt not count, and it goes back to the original drive?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet UNC v Illinois in the 2005 title game for that very reason
Old 10-21-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good. strangely enough, i told 3 people of my plan, and all 3 are following me..

how about question #1? did possession change? or does the muffed punt not count, and it goes back to the original drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

according to the yahoo drive log
possession never changed

hence, the 12 plays for 78 yards TD

you got robbed...2 personal fouls and a muffed punt return to move the ball down the field... Illinois went from about 70% to win to 25% over that series of plays
Old 10-21-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you put a utility on happiness. This is optimal. You're either rich and sad or poor and happy. Meh.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:03 PM

I might have to hedge the Tribe in this fashion. Seems much better then betting on them and being doubly pissed :-/
Old 10-21-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

according to the yahoo drive log
possession never changed

hence, the 12 plays for 78 yards TD

you got robbed...2 personal fouls and a muffed punt return to move the ball down the field... Illinois went from about 70% to win to 25% over that series of plays

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, i was on michigan.

awesome argument the two of us had over a couple of bucks. that is exactly what i was looking for, actually...the drive log is what we were talking about as evidence one way or another..

my brother is a lurker here, and i will direct him to this thread promptly..