Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 PM

Default 200NL - BvB defending with Q8s

Everest Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00/$2.00 (HH Converter by Kreatief)

<font color="blue">Reads: Villain is a tight/nitty regular. He also plays 100NL, so he might be money scared. I have him running at 18/9/3.5/550.</font>

MP3 ($175.65)
CO ($333.21)
Button ($15.00)
SB ($161.70)
BB ($202.00) (Hero)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $6.00</font>, Hero calls $4.00.

<font color="blue">My hand is good enough to defend here. 3betting isn't really an option, since villain doesn't attack the blinds often. I'm looking to play pots with villain, coz I feel I can take the pot away from him on a variety of flops. </font>

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( $13 )
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $7.00</font>, Hero calls $7.00.

<font color="blue">I flop TP and villain Cbets smallish. No value in raising or to protect against draws.</font>

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( $27 )
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $17.00</font>, Hero calls $17.00,

<font color="blue">I've been floating villain lately, so I felt that folding was to weak in BvB and I have position.</font>

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( $61 )
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $24.00</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $98.00</font>.

<font color="blue">Villain leads fairly small on the overcard, leading me to believe he disliked the A. I think his range consists mostly of pairs 88-KK at this moment. I choose to bluff-raise hit bet, because I figured he'd fold these hands after his blockbet.</font>

Is this ok, or spewy? Also how's my thought process?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: 200NL - BvB defending with Q8s

i think the rasies is fine given his weakass bet and possibly nitty tendencies, but if villain can hand read at all he should be calling with thatever hand (most likely 99-KK) he value bet the river with. because youre only repping exactly A8
Old 11-24-2007, 09:04 PM

What hand do you think he would assume you played like this? That raise makes no sense without a A8, i think, but thats a very tiny range, so i think he would suspect you are bluffing often here, if he is thinking. I think if you are going to do a riverbluff, it has to suit a line with a strong hand well. If you are aggressive with strong hands, i dont think this would work often.

The small bet could aslo be a "extract" bet if he had AA, cause that reduces your Ax combinations very much and the river is a scare card. I think the same if he had a 22,44,66 or 88.

As a bluff, you have to take this pot down more often than about 60% of the time, and i dont think you will, so a fold would been better here.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:05 PM

if you're going to try to get him off his hand, i think raising the turn is the best play
Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to try to get him off his hand, i think raising the turn is the best play

[/ QUOTE ]At the turn I figured my hand would be best a good percentage of the time, it was a 'value-call'.

However at the river I knew I was behind, but when the A hit and villain bet &gt;1/2 pot I decided to take a stab at the pot.

I prolly raise the turn with my big hands most of the time, but villain might think I wait till the river with raising with sets/straights some of the time. So I think sets can be in my perceived range. Not sure at which level villain thinks and if he's got the nuts to make a call here with for example JJ.

Against a good player my line is pretty transparent, I have to agree with you guys on that.. the question imo is wheter villain is capable of identifing my weak line and if he's able to make a "hero-call"
Old 11-24-2007, 09:14 PM

i dont think villain is good (based on his weak flop and turn bets + his stupid ass river bet + your read on him) and thats why i think he folds a very high % of the time. doesnt seem like a good hand reader