Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: 1 Book to read for 2 months

Screen might be a little small for that much reading, although if you are coming from a Palm maybe not. It will certainly be higher resolution.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:25 AM

What about A Brief History of Time or Guns,Germs and Steel?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just looked that up and it looks really cool and interesting. Before investing so much time in books like that though, I kind of prefer that they have withstood the test of time already. I know thats snobbish but what can I say.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's reasonable enough. Keep it in mind though.

BTW, where are you going? If you've never read any of Paul Theroux's travel books, and if your itinerary overlaps one of his, it might be a good choice.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 AM

Being as you mentioned making money, why not The Intelligent Investor and The Four Pillars of Investing? Maybe 7-14 days for the former, 2-6 days for the latter, depending on how much time you're spending reading.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 AM

Actually a book on a poker game you did not know well could be very good.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just looked that up and it looks really cool and interesting. Before investing so much time in books like that though, I kind of prefer that they have withstood the test of time already. I know thats snobbish but what can I say.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's reasonable enough. Keep it in mind though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I definitely will. His other books another poster pointed seem like stuff I'd be interested in too.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, where are you going? If you've never read any of Paul Theroux's travel books, and if your itinerary overlaps one of his, it might be a good choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link. I'm traveling to China and SE Asia. It seems like some of it overlaps. I think I'm gonna get one of these for reading if not on the trip, at least for some point. They seem right up my alley.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually a book on a poker game you did not know well could be very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only game I really have a desire to be good at that I don't know alright is PLO. None of the PLO books really seem worthy of bringing along on a trip like this though.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:03 AM

the intelligent investor is not a bad idea, but i'd take labyrinths by jorge luis borges. it's short fiction + essays and it's all kinds of [censored] up. you can reread it endlessly.

i'd also consider the happy isles of oceania by paul theroux. it's pretty dense, and it's a travel book!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Screen might be a little small for that much reading, although if you are coming from a Palm maybe not. It will certainly be higher resolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was hyped up about getting an iPhone to replace my phone, palm, and mp3 player, I was going through some tests with a buddy of mine to see if there was a workaround for it not having "real" storage on it.

We found a way to get PDFs on there as e-mail attachments that would be readable in airplane mode, and he was like: "you can't read on this." Me: "I read like 200 books on a palm Vx." Him: "Oh... then this is about 30x better."
Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm traveling to China and SE Asia.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The Great Railway Bazaar" and "Riding the Iron Rooster" are both books largely about Asia (though in both he starts in London and travels by train).

Both are very good, though I don't know whether it'd be better to read them before, during, or after the trip.

For example, I just came across this passage after opening "Rooster" at random :

"An eerie sight in Guangxi were the caves in those gray limestone hills. The hills had come to look like fat columns and towers, and the caves made them seem hollow. Later I learned that Guangxi is full of caves. Some are underground dripping caverns, but these above ground things - many of them at any rate - had been converted into homes. The strangest ones looked like gaping mouths, with white stalactites showing like teeth.
In a shallow pool among those towerlike hills there was a gray and white crane, the sort the Chinese regard as an auspicious bird, representing long life. The train startled the bird, and off it went,soaring and circling, as we runbled on through a painting of mountains that was being endlessly unrolled.
In the kitchen off the dining car, a young woman was scrubbing pots and singing in Chinese.
I know that you love me
I am waiting
But where do you want me to go? "

Lots of little things like that might help you find places you wouldn't otherwise; but the best part of travelling is usually ending up somewhere unexpected ...

Either way, I'm jealous; have a good trip.