Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Never coldcall rule (theorish)

Just require a lot more money behind to be playing for set value or playing suited connectors real deep when you are deciding whether or not to coldcall. I look for like 45 bb's deep before I start making speculative calls and that doesn't come up that often in online play.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM

My response is to never say never...
Old 10-12-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just require a lot more money behind to be playing for set value or playing suited connectors real deep when you are deciding whether or not to coldcall. I look for like 45 bb's deep before I start making speculative calls and that doesn't come up that often in online play.

[/ QUOTE ]
gobbo, do you have any more thoughts about this even if it might be boring "theory"? I like your posts and like to hear some exceptions ideas of when you coldcall except for the example you said. for ex slowplaying a big hand late in the tourney etc. do you often call raises with a hand like KQ or AJ late in a tournament?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:00 PM

its how Jesus won the ME
Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 PM

you cannot be a successful tournament player without having all tools in your arsenal. One of the biggest problems with this theory as others have touched on is it allows villian to play perfectly too often. Say we have 27k and villian covers, blinds are 4/800 and villian is aggro lag. He opens for 2200 from the HJ and we are button with AJs. Unless his four betting range is really wide, then just calling and playing well post flop is going to be way more +EV then reraising or shoving, because our hand is way ahead of his opening range but probably way behind his 4betting range.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say we have 27k and villian covers, blinds are 4/800 and villian is aggro lag. He opens for 2200 from the HJ and we are button with AJs. Unless his four betting range is really wide, then just calling and playing well post flop is going to be way more +EV then reraising or shoving, because our hand is way ahead of his opening range but probably way behind his 4betting range.

[/ QUOTE ]

that example is a good example of a spot where I often tend to just call for the reasons you stated, but think that is better to 3-bet or fold (leaning towards folding is in doubt). one big reason for this is that a CO-raise and a button-call is a very good spot for one of the blinds to squeeze. However, I think calling in this spot with a huge hand, esp. if the blinds are squeezy is a good play some of the time.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 AM

any more opinions? esp on my last post.