Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Getting value after the worst card in the deck hits

Lol, now I like my allin. Probably bluffed him off the best hand [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 05:51 PM

lol...wondering if I was missing something too...
Old 08-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Well reasoned, and here is my response.

I think the way you played that hand up to the point should be the strategy against a tight player. But an aggressive player (I'm assuming all the while he is aggressive if he's a 'bet to if checked to' guy), should be handled differently in this case. A cold call pre flop from an aggressive player could be many hands ranging from the PP's you are wary about to two overcards, suited connectors, lower pairs etc. A hyper aggressive player could call with much more than that, and would probably re raise with the very hands you are fearing! He may have 6 outs, sure with a hand like KQo, but you will have hard decisions to make if anything from a 9 to an A comes - those are 22 cards that you don't want to see. Your position makes this even more pronounced. The pp's you are wary about are 9's to A's have 18 ways to make them. There are dozens to hundreds more of hand combos that an aggressive player may call with. So while higher pp's may be part of his range, I'm not so sure they represent a 'large portion' of that range.

When I suggest the check raise on the turn, I don't mean it as a means to get more money into the pot. I mean it simply to win an extra bet from him before taking it down. Though a turn bet does make sense, it still shows considerable strength, and you will be lucky to get a call on the river from a halfway decent player if he does indeed call the turn.

Betting small on the river is useless because it comprises such a small percentage of the pot. I'm running late here, but just ask this question to yourself taking into account all the information thus far:

Are there any hands that you are beating that will call your all in?

Are there any hands that you are losing to that will fold to your all in?