Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Cool Sports You\'ve Played

I will also throw in a vote for Disc golf. I got a bit burned out on it, but it is pretty fun. Real laid back as well.

Been getting into Racquetball quite a bit as well. Excellent workout and can be a lot of fun.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played water polo in high school, but I haven't kept up with it much since college.

[/ QUOTE ]
i played water polo in HS and am on a club team in college. it's by far my favorite sport, and i love playing it, but it's very hard for someone without a strong swim background to get into. and then, even if you do have that strong swim background, it still takes a lot of practice before it becomes really fun.

so yeah, i loooooove water polo, but i'm not sure if it's for the OP. if he liked underwater hockey, then i'd 2nd the broomball suggestion. that's a lot of fun, even if you have no clue what you're doing. i've played that in just my speedo before - pretty fun, actually, although it stung like crazy when i fell onto the ice.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 AM

If you're in decent shape, going on what I call Rider Style runs is fun. The gist of it is based on Teddy Roosevelt's walks where he would go in a straight line and climb and maneuver through anything in you're way. What this turns into is real cross country running, where you have to hop logs that have fallen in the forest, climb fences, and cross creeks. If you don't have wooded areas nearby, running on the streets and altering your path so you have to hurdle garbage cans, push off the tops of fire hydrants, and generally change up your stride often and break the monotony of an hour long run and has you work a variety of various muscle groups you don't normally use on a run.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 AM

lawn bowls drunk and barefoot is great fun, competitively I always liked waterpolo a lot and thought it was cool and not nearly as popular as it should be.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't know if it's what you're looking for but my favorite leisure sport is cornhole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard it called something different ("bags"), but yes it is awesome.

It is especially fun when you are drunk. You play worse, but you yell a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, or Baggo. There was an article in Newsweek about the naming "controversy" last week.

Drinking actually helps my game, but only up to a certain point. It's like a plateau: 5-6 drinks up the vertical, 4-5 drinks on the flat, then all downhill from there.

*Edit* Couldn't get article link to work, linked to Google's cached version instead.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ladder golf or takraw

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to second sepak takraw, which is fun to play, and is amazing to watch when played by experts. It's too bad that it isn't played more in the US. Sepak takraw is fundamentally like volleyball, but with the restrictions of soccer, and a badminton net ~ 5 feet high. Competitive players spike over this net, and block.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 AM

Soccer tennis! This game is a ton of fun.

My friends and I made up our own version of rules before we knew anyone else played it, and I think they work better for players who aren't really good.

Use a regular singles tennis court. You can limit this to just the half closest to the net if you have 2v2 or 1v1 (this is normally played 3v3 but anywhere from 1 to 4 per side works) and/or are just starting. Serve from behind the middle lines by bouncing the ball then hitting with your foot. Unlimited touches are allowed per team and player, and any body part is legal besides hands/arms. One bounce is allowed per side before contact is made, after that if it hits the ground it's the other team's point, like in tennis. We use volleyball scoring (only score on serve), and call it stennis.

http://soccertennis.org/ is a link to an organization with somewhat different rules and a video on their homepage.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Soccer tennis is so much fun. I play 3 touches max.

I also gotta nominate hand squash. All you need is a tennis ball, a wall, and some competetive friends.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM

I wish soccertennis was more popular than it is. We played on volleyball courts though, that's gotta be different. 3 touches max.

I also used to play bandy (ice hockey with ball and curved sticks, popular in Scandinavian countries and Russia).
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM

pocketpool