Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 PM

Default some questionable turn calls

just wrapped up a long (12 hr) pink chip session yesterday and played pretty much awful for 8 hours of it. somehow only ended up down 9 BBs so i consider myself lucky. 2 hands may be particularly bad...comments?

hand 1

I limp utg with 55. in this game this is pretty much automatic. 3 limpers and loose passive button raises. BB calls all call.

flop 734 no suits. i bet...MP limper calls, button calls, others fold.

Turn K. no suits. I check and call the button's bet planning to fold the river UI (should I fold now?)

Hand 2:

like 5 limpers, I limp button with QJo. blinds check.

flop QJ9 two hearts. BB bets, 2 callers, i call, planning to raise a blank turn.

Turn 8 (no flush). BB bets, 1 caller, I call. Assuming BB and caller has a straight, is this call correct with 4 outs?
River blanked and I folded obv, but is this a bad turn call?

There were other worse hands but I'll save those for later. Thanks for comments.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: some questionable turn calls

For hand 2 on the flop you have to raise. You're probably not going to get any folds but the board is really drawy so push your edge while you still have it. Also by raising the field and seeing the action it could give you a much better sense of where you're at and help you decipher the turn action. On the turn if you're closing the action I think it's right to call hoping to hit one of your 4 outs if you are in fact behind.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 PM

Hand 1:

- On the flop, I don't get the bet. If you think you're ahead, why not go for the c/r to protect your hand? If you think you will need to hit the draw to win, why not check/peel to avoid pushing anybody out?

- on the turn you've got the odds to peel

Hand 2:

- I'd raise that flop for value. Get it in now.

- As played, I think you can definitely continue on the turn. Not only do you have 4 outs, but it seems far from clear that you're behind to a straight. The BB could be betting w/a range of stuff, and wouldn't the caller raise when he hit the straight?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:03 AM

Hand 1 - peel the turn. I can see folding the rive UI.

Hand 2 - you've got to raise this flop, every time. As played you're getting around 8:1 to call the turn with at least 4 outs (possibly 8 outs counting the counterfits), I think we can make a thin call here.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:39 AM

Hand 1: Even in with the loose passive players in live play i still find these players to bet flops after a preflop raise. I don't think leading out is bad though.
I'm still betting this turn to hopefully fold out some overcards, check folding UI on river

Hand 2: As stated by others, this hand is very drawy so get the money in while you're still ahead. There are way too many dangerous turn cards. Had this flop only been a straight draw possibility OR just 2 tone maybe, but not both. I usually tend to go for the early aggression rather than the turn still.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 AM

hand 1: i agree that the CR is a much better play. if HU would you still bet the turn card tho? I doubt villain is raising AQ or AJ preflop.

hand 2: if I raise the flop, do you bet the turn if checked to?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:14 AM

If you're 100% sure hes only raising AK+ than checkings fine, but especially with live play people believe in luck.

Sometimes people will just call AK if they raised AK before and it didnt work. Sometimes they'll raise QJo, if raising with KQ earlier worked for them.

I wouldn't count AQ and AJ out of his hand range and you should price him to draw or kick him out before he rivers you.

When in doubt just bet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]