Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Inland Empire

I hate things that are absurdly affected, yet I love great art.

So how did I feel about David Lynch's Inland Empire?

I thought it was great, honestly.

I thought this was a more substantial movie than Mulholland Falls, and I felt there was a genuinely valuable goal achieved with the film, really.

I know a lot of people hated this film, and I know most people here will tell me I'm a dilettante and a poseur for loving this film, but I must tell you, I thought it was great, really worthwhile.

There's a real sadness there, and there's something else--intangible, something human, something tragic, but something great.

I would watch a ten hour version of this film.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Inland Empire

Were you scared? I'll have to see it at some point but I'm terrified and it will probably be literally psychologically damaging for me.

A few years ago Lynch made several episodes of a fake sitcom called Rabbits - this plays a role in Inland Empire. Rabbits uses a single stationary camera on a single room with 3 people in rabbit suits (including Naomi Watts and the other woman from Mulholland Dr.) sitting on the couch and ironing and such. They utter lines out of order and out of context, the audience laughs for no reason, there's an awful rain and foghorns heard in the background, and it's easily the most terrifying [censored] thing I've ever seen.

I dread Inland Empire.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 AM

Just reading about that makes my head hurt.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Were you scared? I'll have to see it at some point but I'm terrified and it will probably be literally psychologically damaging for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was terrified after seeing it the first time. But not in a normal horror movie type way. It was just really emotionally disturbing. I felt really unsettled after watching it. After I saw it a second time I like it a lot more, and was able to appreciate it better.

Honestly, its like Lynch on steroids. If you like Lynch a lot you will probably like it. But if you don't, there is no chance you will.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:18 AM

Firewalk With Me blew my mind. But I was stoned to bejesus. Sounds like the same prescription for this thing.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Firewalk With Me blew my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Mulholland Drive and Firewalk With Me are great and Blue Velvet is quite good as well. Mulholland Drive is easily the most emotionally moving film I have ever seen.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM

I feel when I watch a Lynch film I regret every minute during the film, but feel rewarded after it. His stuff just disturbs me so much though...

I read the synopsis and I might have to watch this now after reading about the whole Polish subplot or whatever just so I can see what that's about.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate things that are absurdly affected, yet I love great art.

So how did I feel about David Lynch's Inland Empire?

I thought it was great, honestly.

I thought this was a more substantial movie than Mulholland Falls, and I felt there was a genuinely valuable goal achieved with the film, really.

I know a lot of people hated this film, and I know most people here will tell me I'm a dilettante and a poseur for loving this film, but I must tell you, I thought it was great, really worthwhile.

There's a real sadness there, and there's something else--intangible, something human, something tragic, but something great.

I would watch a ten hour version of this film.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd kill anyone who tried to make me watch that again.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A few years ago Lynch made several episodes of a fake sitcom called Rabbits - this plays a role in Inland Empire. Rabbits uses a single stationary camera on a single room with 3 people in rabbit suits (including Naomi Watts and the other woman from Mulholland Dr.) sitting on the couch and ironing and such. They utter lines out of order and out of context, the audience laughs for no reason, there's an awful rain and foghorns heard in the background, and it's easily the most terrifying [censored] thing I've ever seen.

I dread Inland Empire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Lynch simply has a particular sensibility that is definitively, well, scary.

Impossible to define, yes, but that's OK with me.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Firewalk With Me blew my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Mulholland Drive and Firewalk With Me are great and Blue Velvet is quite good as well. Mulholland Drive is easily the most emotionally moving film I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue Velvet is one of my favorite films of all-time. I think it's tough to compare the more linear and conventional Blue Velvet to any of the more disjointed films like Inland Empire or Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway, but they do all have a common aspect in their darkness and sense of alienation.

I think these are necessary themes that are too often neglected in mainstream films, at least in any meaningful way.