Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Can I win $30/hour playing 25NL?

I'm glad I've given everyone a giggle anyway.

So it appears I'd need to AT LEAST six-table to win at that rate. Oh well.

I plan to play 10NL for eight hours this weekend (after which I may well have hit my threshold for moving up to 25NL).

Would anyone like to wager that I won't make $30?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Would anyone like to wager that I won't make $30?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

One tabling? What site? How will you prove it?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it appears I'd need to AT LEAST sixteen-table to win at that rate. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ] fyp
Old 06-26-2007, 12:40 PM

One table 10NL on Stars. The only proof I can supply is a hand history - which could be doctored of course so you'd better decide whether you accept that...

I'd wager $10 (it's just for fun isn't it?)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Consecutive HHs would be fine at one table, as it would be obvious if you skipped any hands based on table position and stack sizes and the time stamp.

I only have money on FTP, so reconciling this bet would be tough. Not worth it for me for $10.

I hope someone takes you up on it though.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 PM

I went through exactly the same thing as you when starting out a couple of months ago, including the sarky and unhelpful response from the 14 year old, so don't feel bad about posting in the way you did. I play Party NL10 atm, crushed it for 500 bucks fairly quicky just 1 and 2 tabling, tried to move up and lost 4 BI's within a week, so I'm consolidating atm. I'm 4 tabling at nl10 while I repair the damage. I have an economics degree and I'm numerate, for what that's worth, and have studied game theory and stuff.

The main problems I've had are

a) when scaling up you are spreading your concentration much thinner. As a beginning player, I tend to find I make a lot of mistakes because I get tired and flustered easy. If I just play one table I can watch every move, but 4 tabling and more, one has to rely on set pieces and experience to a large degree. My winrate started at around 40BB-100 over 200 hands, it has since dropped to like 10BB over 15000 hands.

The upside is that I'm now able to clear bonuses quickly, Party and Empire were really good for this but you may have missed the boat there unfortunately.

My ambition is a bit more modest than yours just now, I am just aiming to break even at NL25 so I can clear some of the fat bonuses that the various sites offer. Most require playthroughs of 10k hands or more at NL25, but are paying bonuses in the 100's, so that's where I think my profit will come from in the next couple of months. You might want to look at www.bonuswhores.com if you haven't already, they have all the latest signup bonuses listed out.

b) I completely believe you when you say you are intelligent and learn fast. That probably goes for most of the folks who post here. Unfortunately, there's really no substitute for experience, I am finding.

c) you need time to read up properly and let the knowledge soak in. Read No limit holdem theory and practice (slansky)if you haven't already plus there are various books on the mathematics of poker which you may or may not have read. I am still getting my head around the concepts that these books set out.

Re the 30 bucks, I don't doubt you'll make it, so I won't bet. I doubt you'll make much more at this stage, but gl anyhow.

Last thing, I'd recommend you move up gradually to NL25 rather than just arriving at a new level one day. Try playing a table of NL10 and a table of NL25 for a bit
Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2000 hands no more significant than ten! What a ridiculous comment!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a name for 2000 hands... "afternoon".

I'm currently down just over 3 buy-ins at $50NL on Stars over the last 4000 hands. My winrate at $50NL is over 3PTBB/100 or 6BB/100 while 12 tabling. I'm currently 20 tabling and don't really have enough hands to be confident in my rate but right now it's 2.967PTBB/100 over 17671 hands (Stars+FTP).

I've had winrates of 7PTBB/100 over 2000 hands many times. Just think about it, if it's possible for me to run -3.75PTBB/100 over 4000 hands, how well dow I have to be able to run for this to even out to ~3PTBB/100?

Even better, here are my Stars and FTP graphs since I started 20 tabling (~10 tables at each site). These graphs represent 3 days of play (The graph says 7, there's 3 days of camping in the middle plus a sick day). Remember I said I was down 3 buy-ins over the last 4000 hands? Well in reality the first half of that I'm running slightly below break-even and only then do I really start to hit the downswing. And then I run somewhere around -7PTBB/100 for 2000 hands. Yes, that magic 2000 hands!

2000 hands really is not much more meaningfull than 10.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks.

I need to become a bonus whore ASAP!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:34 PM

cmar,

Just curious how much your vpip has changed from 12-20?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM

jesus 20 tabling?? I get aggrevated with more than 10.