Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Should female circumcision be legal in the US?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sure, if adult females or adult males want to mutilate their genitals, of course they should be allowed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think that parent's shouldn't be able to have their children circumcised? I'm not arguing with you, I'm just interested in your viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they should be able to, but I don't understand how people take my stance on this but are then pro-choice.

FWIW, I don't think male circumcision is a big deal and my view that parents shouldn't be able to take frivolous actions like that is mostly principle based.

[/ QUOTE ].

This is my viewpoint (I don't think parents should be allowed to circumcise their children, but I support abortion rights). In fact, I think that infanticide should be acceptable, although there is little to no call for it with today's medical technology. I think that parents should be able to decide whether or not they want to raise their child; if they choose not to raise the child, they can abort the fetus. If they choose to raise the child, then they have no right to make irreparable decisions about that child's body.

The crux of my view is that I don't regard a newborn child or fetus as a person -- it can't talk, communicate, fend for itself, etc. That infant or fetus has no rights, unless its parents choose to give it rights by taking on the obligation to care for it. Once the parents make that decision, then the child or fetus has all the rights of a person, and no one -- not even the parents that gave him those rights -- can make irreparable decisions like circumcision for him.

For what it's worth, I don't think that male circumcision is a trivial matter. I think my foreskin is worth well over 50k to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mother did a real job on you pal.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sure, if adult females or adult males want to mutilate their genitals, of course they should be allowed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think that parent's shouldn't be able to have their children circumcised? I'm not arguing with you, I'm just interested in your viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they should be able to, but I don't understand how people take my stance on this but are then pro-choice.

FWIW, I don't think male circumcision is a big deal and my view that parents shouldn't be able to take frivolous actions like that is mostly principle based.

[/ QUOTE ].

This is my viewpoint (I don't think parents should be allowed to circumcise their children, but I support abortion rights). In fact, I think that infanticide should be acceptable, although there is little to no call for it with today's medical technology. I think that parents should be able to decide whether or not they want to raise their child; if they choose not to raise the child, they can abort the fetus. If they choose to raise the child, then they have no right to make irreparable decisions about that child's body.

The crux of my view is that I don't regard a newborn child or fetus as a person -- it can't talk, communicate, fend for itself, etc. That infant or fetus has no rights, unless its parents choose to give it rights by taking on the obligation to care for it. Once the parents make that decision, then the child or fetus has all the rights of a person, and no one -- not even the parents that gave him those rights -- can make irreparable decisions like circumcision for him.

For what it's worth, I don't think that male circumcision is a trivial matter. I think my foreskin is worth well over 50k to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mother did a real job on you pal.

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, That has such people in't!"
Old 10-21-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm more interested in knowing why people presume it's the role of the federal government to be legislating such minutia.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more interested in knowing why people presume it's the role of the federal government to be legislating such minutia.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I clearly don't think this should be handled by the federal government as it's clearly a state by state issue. But I would like my state to ban female circumcision and would support a state ban on male circumcisions that aren't a medical treatment.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday you might understand, until then, have a nice life.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 PM

Its a cultural thing.

Reading the responses here, one thing comes across very strongly:

We can accept weird Western cultural things, but we reject weird third world cultural things.

This forum is full of a heavy Western bias.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday you might understand, until then, have a nice life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a prick.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its a cultural thing.

Reading the responses here, one thing comes across very strongly:

We can accept weird Western cultural things, but we reject weird third world cultural things.

This forum is full of a heavy Western bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. East, West, North, South, children should not be permanently mutilated by anyone without a legitimate medically necessary reason to do so, like a gangrenous arm or something. I have little concern about what consenting adults do to themselves, however.