Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Do we still need radio DJs?

While I'm at college I don't have an actual radio so I just listen to my XM. Now that I'm home, I listen to FM too and am getting tired of all the local DJs. I don't need someone interrupting my music with stupid jokes or idle commentary. I also don't need lengthy station promos with a bunch of artists who recorded "I'm [name] and you're listening to" and then they play the station name in a ridiculous attempt to fool us into thinking the artist gives a [censored].

Most DJs suck and the only benefit to having them is taking requests, running contests, and talking about upcoming concerts or something. Since requests aren't often played in a timely manner and the contests have such a small chance of you winning them, I don't think these outweigh the drawbacks of having to listen to their crap; even though the concert aspect is nice, that info can be found elsewhere.

One local radio station here simply records their djs one or two times a week and just runs that so you still have to listen to them but can't even call in for anything, which is the worst of both worlds...

So, do we still need radio DJs?

-ChipsAhoya
Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Do we still need radio DJs?

well, as far as the "your listening to xxxx station", that is mandated by the FCC.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 PM

All I want them to do is tell me what song just played and what concerts are coming up in the area.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 PM

having dj's is the stations way of making you identify with a brand, and in theory they should be interesting enough for you to want to continue listening through commercial breaks and such. Yet most of them suck so you would think an all music, no commentary format would be more popular, but they are still not that common.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 PM

I dont think money means what you think it means
Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 PM

The system has been in place to not have a DJ at many radio stations for years. Most of them use it overnight. It allows the PD and MD to change things at will from their office as well. Still, most major stations like to have a DJ during the day. They are increasingly being called On-Air Personalities nowadays since it more accurately describes what they do. They have somewhere in the realm of 0 say in what is played or how the show is run.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:15 PM

radio DJs are obviously unnecessary, but the point of them is to keep you from thinking you're just listening to some [censored] mix CD.

Everything they say gets controlled by the station now. Still, DJs were once historically important to the radio station. Radio's a dying medium in part because of this lost link.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 PM

Hint - besides college radio, maybe, no radio stations actually take requests. They have predetermined rotations, and unless your request just happens to be coming up in that playlist, you're not hearing it.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hint - besides college radio, maybe, no radio stations actually take requests. They have predetermined rotations, and unless your request just happens to be coming up in that playlist, you're not hearing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not entirely true. I have texted odd requests to stations here in St. Louis and they have been played within 60 min.

Also, one station just ran a promo where every hour they would play a 5 song list that a listener submitted online. Far and away the best month of music from any station ever. Most of the lists were generic but many were songs that never get airplay. Nice.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Do we still need radio?

fyt