Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: PAHUD wanting to connect to the internet

I started out with a registration system that didn't connect to the internet. After months of dealing with dozens of daily emails saying "I need a new code", I implemented the current system. After that, I was actually able to spend the time I used to spend generating registration codes (for new and existing users) doing something useful. It was also nice for my customers, as they could reinstall PA Hud without having to wait for me to get back to them with a new registration code.

I realize there are some people who will be paranoid and not trust an established company that has been around for years without any sort of scandalous issues. That's why we are trying to accommodate these users. See this post from the PT3 thread:

"I'm going to end this whole argument by saying we will have a system where you can be registered without PT3 connecting to the internet. HOWEVER, you will get two installs this way. After those two installs, you will need to purchase again.

An example. You buy PT3 and don't want it to connect to the registration server. You get your code (that's one). A month later, you format your computer and get another code (that's two). The next time you need to register, you will have to purchase another copy.

The reason for this is that we have no way of knowing that you didn't just install PT3 on two computers and are looking to install it on a third. The reg-server method lets us monitor this kind of thing. Therefore, the reg-server method means you can format your computer as many times as you wish on one purchase.

Therefore, people who are overly concerned about PT3 connecting to the internet get what they want, but at an added cost, due to the lack of security on our end."

Software piracy is a very real threat. I've spent a lot of time and money on piracy prevention. It's not hard to find pirated versions of software. I'm just fortunate that the hackers haven't been smart enough to figure out all of my piracy prevention methods yet, so using a pirated version of my software gives you very little benefit over using the trial version. Of course, the $25 saving isn't really worth it as you'll likely suffer from the trojan horse virus the hackers injected into their cracked version.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just pointing out that your average user will only really be worried about this if they have pirated/cracked software

[/ QUOTE ]
in fact it's the only situation you don't have to be worried.
I don't know why PAHUD do this but Microsoft targets "friends" with it's validation. I mean: one person buys a license and then his whole family and a bunch of friends uses this one copy of Windows.

But talking about cracks: I've never cracked anything but I think there's very little to no difference. The cracker either has to patch the routine that verifies the s/n or the routine that connects to the server.

[ QUOTE ]
it is my understanding all these so called copy protections can be circumvented anyway ... So the only ones that are suffering a risk from some malware are the legal users

[/ QUOTE ]
that's my understanding as well. The cracked version connects nowhere (although I tested only when deciding what to do so take caution as any sw can connect in some hidden way).
Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started out with a registration system that didn't connect to the internet. After months of dealing with dozens of daily emails saying "I need a new code", I implemented the current system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely no objection to PAHUD connecting once for registration - it is the ongoing connections that I have an issue with. I can understand your concern with pirating, but I don't see why I have to take a (minor) risk to protect your business when any competent software hacker will find a way round this protection anyway. As I have a use for the product I'll have to put up with it, but don't pretend that it isn't an issue.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 PM

The primary use of the registration system isn't really to reduce piracy. It's to prevent accidental and deliberate abuse of purchased licenses. The registration system is to allow my customers the flexibility of upgrading/formatting their computers without having to worry about asking for a new code. The software must connect every few days in order to determine if other computers have used the code. A one time registration connection would be useless for this application.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The primary use of the registration system isn't really to reduce piracy. It's to prevent accidental and deliberate abuse of purchased licenses.

[/ QUOTE ]
yea, I though so. It's like the microsoft's on-line registration. The primary target are "friends" of someone who bought one single licence and want to share it.

But it's good you try to find another solution for those who don't like progs communication with random servers (though they are somewhat trustworthy).