Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 04:11 AM

Default 75/150 8b hand

75/150 eight or better

the player who opened with the 8s hand range is probably 3 babies with an ace and other good 8 low drawing hands along with TT or better.

the player who 3bet his 4 could have as low as A34, 3 suited babies or QQ+.

3rd:

xx-K folds
xx-Q folds
xx-8s-completes
xx-6 folds
xx-7 folds
JJ-5c-raises
xx-4d-BRINGIN-call

4th:

xx-8s2s-bet-call
JJ-5cTd-raise
xx-4dKh-call

hows it look here?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:48 AM

Default Re: 75/150 8b hand

I'd fold third. If I clicked the wrong button and found myself in that situation on fourth, I think the raise is fine.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:21 AM

On third in these type of spots, I'd rather cold-call than 3-bet. I think keeping the pot size under control and leaving yourself flexibility on later streets is more important than trying to isolate the guy when you're probably not much better than a coinflip. Your 5 vs. his 8 in the door will allow you to force him into a lot of incorrect folds on 5th and 6th depending on how the boards develop, and depending on how he plays, you may get paid off pretty well in situations when you both brick off. Think about it this way: With the pot bloated on 3rd, how likely is he to make an incorrect play later in the hand? How likely are you? On 4th here I'd just call and see what falls on 5th. He's going to put you on a strong low peeling a card, and will almost certainly bet again if you both brick, and you can get out cheap if he hits something ugly.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 AM

I like it. I would probably just fold third, but the situation here is quite nice to play this pair. You hold a 5, so if the completer doesn't have one he is going to have a fairly hard time making a straight to scoop you. On third nobody knows you have Jacks, so the 2bets may scare out someone behind you that would have happily called 1 bet with a low oriented hand.

4th literally couldn't have wound up much better. The low picked up just enough to bet his hand but not nearly enough to put us in bad shape and we have an easy raise to get it HU. I'm a little worried by the 4K calling, but it's more like disappointment really. So far the board's are plenty safe to be aggressive.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:14 PM

If you are going to play on 3rd street (many people would fold here, I would play on) call on third, manipulate the size of the pot by keeping it small. 4th street is good, the bring-in calling scares me.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. I would probably just fold third, but the situation here is quite nice to play this pair. You hold a 5, so if the completer doesn't have one he is going to have a fairly hard time making a straight to scoop you. On third nobody knows you have Jacks, so the 2bets may scare out someone behind you that would have happily called 1 bet with a low oriented hand.

4th literally couldn't have wound up much better. The low picked up just enough to bet his hand but not nearly enough to put us in bad shape and we have an easy raise to get it HU. I'm a little worried by the 4K calling, but it's more like disappointment really. So far the board's are plenty safe to be aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is probably four low and two spades showing doesn't scare us? I think 4th is a must-raise and 4K calling is a little confusing but I'm not sure if I love my opponent's board.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 AM

I don't see the 4 3-betting anything? Am I missing something? Looks like the 4 called 2 cold as the bringin. No?

the dude with the 4 door card is either rolled up or a complete fish.

I assume you're asking about your play with the JJ... It could go either way - reraise 3rd or fold. Depending on original raiser's ability, of course, I rr probably 80% and fold the other 20%. 4th st is an interesting situation - for the purposes of folding out the 4d I like the raise, but if I felt the fish would overcall after bricking I may mimick a busted low draw myself and just call, to see how things develop. Generally, though, I think you played it quite standard so far, for being 3 handed.

About the only play that I would consider totally fishlike with the JJx on 3rd would be a flat call - folding and raising are both fine in this spot.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:59 PM

doesnt the 8 completing with three nice low cards behind him say he has something better than average hand?

I don't get the point of getting involved here.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hows it look here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Misplayed on every street.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to play on 3rd street (many people would fold here, I would play on) call on third, manipulate the size of the pot by keeping it small. 4th street is good, the bring-in calling scares me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually i take that back, I must have had a senior moment when I said 4th street was good. What are you trying to fold out? He has a 4 and a K showing.. if he is going low then you WANT him to call because he is making a huge mistake. Just call.