Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Boston Area Poker Club Robbed

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The guy running it was a fool for not asking to see a warrant. Even SWAT would have a warrant, they would just bust down the door before showing it to you though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because when asked for a warrant the crooks with guns would have to sheepishly look at each other, than say sorry we don't have one, and slowly shuffle out, with heads hung low. Their perfect plan to rob the place with guns foiled due to lack of warrant.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no warrant shown in the raid I was caught in, I think thats an incorrect argument - police can raid without a warrant if they believe there is criminal activity currently taking place.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Especially not in the circumstances here. Cops can knock on the door and make arrests if someone lets them in and they observe illegal activities, but if they kick down the door without a warrant, the cases against whoever they decide to charge will get tossed once they hit court.

Cops can only kick down doors without warrants if they are in hot pursuit of a fleeing suspect, they believe a person is in danger, or they witnessed criminal activity taking place, and the evidence will likely be destroyed during the time it takes to get a warrant.

Also, in the raid you were caught in, they probably had a warrant, but just didn't show it. Having a warrant is more important to the court cases later than it is to conducting the actual raid.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) There is never a warrant in NYC raids, its an argument that has been used by lawyers representing the arrested parties spending nights in Toombs before, but it never works. They send in an undercover cop first. This is also how its been done in NYC and Dallas first, there is already witness of a criminal act. For more on this experience, i suggest reading Limit King NYC's blog

2) In the NYC there are visits and there are raids. Visits happen too often, usually they claim they got a call that someone has a gun. What that really means is that they know the room exists, and they are visiting to verify how many players are there in preparation to send in an undercover cop(sometimes they are the girlscouts looking to sell some cookies if you know what i mean my man - that can get expensive of course).

Of course NYC underground clubs barely exist now, and raids on the remaining few rarely occur because outsiders are no longer let in.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They send in an undercover cop first.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the club refused entry to the initial undercover cop, then the rest wouldn't be able to come in without a warrant. Once you let one cop in, he can "call in" as much back up as wants if he sees illegal activity.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They send in an undercover cop first.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the club refused entry to the initial undercover cop, then the rest wouldn't be able to come in without a warrant. Once you let one cop in, he can "call in" as much back up as wants if he sees illegal activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The undercovers come into the clubs days or weeks in advance in NYC.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm gonna guess that warrants are a moot point anyway. Police intent is rarely to arrest Johns - and as for management, I would think the financial losses would be the hammer in these cases. When at Foxwoods, I was playing with a guy who said he ran a poker club in an area in which they were illegal. I asked him about raids and he said that he pays Vice off so he gets tipped when raids are going to occur. His claim was that his players would get their money back after the raid was over. On the flip side of that coin, I had heard that during a "police" raid a player lost all his chips/cash which included ~$1,500 stake and ~$3,500 in profits to that point.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His claim was that his players would get their money back after the raid was over.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I knew peopel that were associated with illegal clubs they always would get money to pay the palyers after a raid. When they reopened they would always be crowded becasue peopel came to get back their money. Sometimes the first game back woudl be played with cash isntead of chips and use the first nights rake to have new chips made.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a prior post I explained that the police do not need a warrant if they believe a crime is being committed. Your theory is out the window.

[/ QUOTE ] Horse pucky. He apparently made no attempt to stall them or validate their identities. Is not a rake being taken? Is the club not responsible for best efforts in the safety and security of the players and their money? Is there not a big steel door, as described earlier in this post?

For the owner of the club to simply flip the door open and subject the patrons to that is inexcusable. Period. His ass should be held accountable.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM

u shouldnt have posted this, very dumb , i was there and didnt tell one person as we all agreed upon, and u go and spread these rumors, at least dont be a puss and say who u are
Old 04-15-2007, 08:29 PM

management had nothing to do with it, they have credibility to keep upstanding, u think they give a ish about robbing us for 15k, ur stupid to even suggest it and sound like the losers from foxwoods
Old 04-15-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, we were sitting there playing and the guy running the games announced “the police are here”.
They cut up the pants on everyone and took all their cash.
So they found all the money, probably in the neighborhood of 50-60K. Then just like that they all ran out the back door. All that was left was a group of tied up poker players with all their money gone and pants cut up. Pretty humiliating actually.
They were all broke but unharmed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm kind of surprised you continued the story in the third person.

What happened to you? What about your pants? What about your money? How much money did you take to the game. How much of it did you lose?

Seems like this story would have included details such as how much you were up or down in the game, and how many chips of yours went uncashed.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. This genius wants a trip report. Any memorable hands? Bad beats? How were the sandwiches?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
management had nothing to do with it, they have credibility to keep upstanding, u think they give a ish about robbing us for 15k, ur stupid to even suggest it and sound like the losers from foxwoods

[/ QUOTE ]
As a loser from Foxwoods I would resent that last remark if I was bright enough to pick it up. To the original point, it reminds me of prohibition and police raids. Many speakeasys had back doors/secret passageways so that they could let patrons escape while stalling the "police". Anyway, it seems that there was no other way out, so stalling those guys with guns would only make them mad.