Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: The feminization of todays youth

There are good things and bad things about this. On one hand, I believe kids are a lot less violent than they were a few generations ago. I'm 23 and I think I can count the number of fist fights I've had in my life on two hands (maybe even one). Yet every old person (over 50) I've ever talked to claims that they were getting into a couple fist fights a week when they were kids.

FNUCKING CUCKING FNOOOOSH PITTTTTTTTTTTT
Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 AM

what is up with males acting like a bunch of girls when it comes to celebrities? "OMG, Natalie Portman is so dreamy... I just look at her and know that she is really cute, but also like really intelligent"

What is up with sites like www.wwtdd.com that focus on britney spears and paris hilton?

i suppose that advertising has made men more insecure so that theyll spend more money on stuff that women used to only buy like face cremes and diet pills, etc.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Football and possibly soccer (lol) have high concussion rates compared to other sports. Football is the obvious number 1 in traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries are more dangerous in children than in adults, and can affect (effect? gotdamn) development.

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasnt a problem 15-20 years ago. Then came the 90's and everybody went soft. I'm only 20 years old, but its pretty clear kids of my generation (with exceptions of course) are less "tough" than the generations before. I believe this is due to the soccer mom phenomenon. They preach having fun and doing your best, and that winning isnt important. They like to give trophies to everyone who participated, so nobody's feelings get hurt. [censored] that [censored]. GFY soccer moms, you are responsible for the downfall of the American Youth. Whores.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This movement started in the 70s.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 AM

I'd just like to comment on the trophies for everyone thing.

While I do agree that giving trophies to everyone participating is complete bs, I can't see how this changes much in the behavior of kids.
The kid "winning" the trophy for 1547th place will well know that it sucked at whatever it tried to compete in.

Neither is it the trophy that makes someone work hard to win. It's the bragging rights of being the no. 1 that makes you go all the way. Screw the trophy, you want to be on top.
Being competitive is, in my opinion, in most cases simply a special form of perfectionism. It's not the hunger for a stupid trophy.

What does bother me about the trophies for all is that kids have to learn how to lose at competitions without losing their dignity, too. If you've been beaten by someone better, admit it, and be secure enough to congratulate him/her. There's absolutely no shame in not being the best at what you do. This doesn't mean that you should'nt try, though.

But this has nothing to do with the actual topic. So I'll shut up now.

Edit: Ninja-edited spelling errors.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"no one hits you, ever, for any reason, and if they somehow manage too, you make it right yourself." While ya, it might seem violent, it really isnt, it teaches you respect and having the right atitude much younger than most guys get it nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked with plenty of kids who ended up in jail following this advice. It's NOT consistent with legality in the US and it's also not something that a child is necessarily able to apply properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big part of the problem. 15 years ago, kids didn't go to jail for getting in fist fights.